Kingwood cracking problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Has anyone else had issues with Kingwood cracking? Wreck 4 pens now through it cracking at various satges. Had one crack as soon as it was cut on the bandsaw, one cracked just after drilling, and two have cracked post completion!

Although the last one had a minor crack, when I disassembled to see how bad the crack was and how deep it ran, it just opened up after the pressure release!

Ive drilled a couple more so going to see how they go, kept the cool on drilling, and ran a fan blowing directly onto the drill and blanks whilst doing it!

Anyone else experienced this?

PHIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

I've only used Kingwood twice and I thought it was one of the easier woods to work with. Maybe I just got lucky? I am interested to see what others have to say.

Russianwolf

cracking when cutting on the bandsaw says internal stresses to me.

Kingwood is in the Rosewood family, so it does have a high oil content, they can be suseptible to heat more than other non-oily woods. But again, I don't think this is the issue as much as internal stress in this case. Are the pieces high figure? Specifically crotch wood?

philb

Its the mexican kingwood if that makes any difference? I think the one that cracked under cutting was already cracked and it just opened up, but the one that failed after assembled was fine until about an hour after completion.

There was then a small, 3mm? long crack and I knew what was going to happen if I left it. So disassembled to see if it was the wood or the finish, but the crack went right down to the tube!

Have to say that Kingwood would be one of my easiest woods to work with, its fairly hard to drill, turn and sand. As it builds up heat easily in all applications!

Finish is CA if that helps? Thing is Ive had one made for 18months that gets used nearly everyday and its fine!

And the wood is from varying pieces as blanks where bought pre-milled to 7/8" and definitely aren't the same planks for all!

PHIL

Top Bottom