Is this kind of thing happening to you???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyBal

Is this kind of thing happening to you guys? My wife just ordered 10 more pens for this weekend on top of the 5 I already had to do on top of the 20 that I did last weekend, all mostly acrylic. All for Christmas presents for her clients, bosses, co-workers, family, complete strangers, ect.... Is it legal to be chained to a lathe???? :eek:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
The hobby could become a drag. Also you need a pretty good stock of blanks as it takes a few days if you have to order them from the net. I always try to have a hundred or so pens in stock so hopefully one will fit the bill for a present. I try to have 30 or so lipstick pens in stock because every-time my wife uses hers, some one will see it and want one. If tyou can ever get ahead of the rush, it is more fun.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Is this kind of thing happening to you guys? My wife just ordered 10 more pens for this weekend on top of the 5 I already had to do on top of the 20 that I did last weekend, all mostly acrylic. All for Christmas presents for her clients, bosses, co-workers, family, complete strangers, ect.... Is it legal to be chained to a lathe???? :eek:

You will find that the more of them you make, the easier it is to make them!!

Years ago, I was SURE no one could turn an "acrylic" cigar in less than an hour---after a couple years, I found myself turning 4-6 per hour (cigar--2 tube pens).

Look at each pen and determine what you could have done better, or faster!!

Before you know it, you make lots more per hour!!

FWIW,

Ed

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't encourage

I don't encourage family members to buy pens from me. I give a lot to family but I don't really want to sell them any.

For me it falls in the same catagory as lending money to a family member. I learned 52 years ago when I was 22 years old "don't lend money in the family". My sister, Bless her Soul, wanted to "borrow" $150.00 and I loaned it to her. For the first 5 years even though I never mentioned it, everytime she saw me she promised to pay it back "next payday". Thank goodness I didn't see her for a few years and she forgot. After that if anyone in my family asked to borrow money I would give them what I could afford and tell them it was a gift and not to worry about pay back.

Fibonacci

I made the mistake of finishing all the Christmas presents early. Since completing the list, I have been steadily making extra presents for random other people.

I got an "order" for six more last night.

76winger

I don't encourage family members to buy pens from me. I give a lot to family but I don't really want to sell them any.

For me it falls in the same catagory as lending money to a family member. I learned 52 years ago when I was 22 years old "don't lend money in the family". My sister, Bless her Soul, wanted to "borrow" $150.00 and I loaned it to her. For the first 5 years even though I never mentioned it, everytime she saw me she promised to pay it back "next payday". Thank goodness I didn't see her for a few years and she forgot. After that if anyone in my family asked to borrow money I would give them what I could afford and tell them it was a gift and not to worry about pay back.

A lesson learned from being a Dave Ramsey fan: Never loan money to a relative - It creates a master to slave relationship and Thanksgiving dinner will never taste the same until the debt is repaid or considered a gift instead of a loan.

76winger

You will find that the more of them you make, the easier it is to make them!!

Years ago, I was SURE no one could turn an "acrylic" cigar in less than an hour---after a couple years, I found myself turning 4-6 per hour (cigar--2 tube pens).

Look at each pen and determine what you could have done better, or faster!!

Before you know it, you make lots more per hour!!

FWIW,

Ed

TonyBal,
The first defense I've come up against for having so much to do all at once is to make up a good stock of pens ahead of time (like in August and September) then it's less of a rush when Christmas comes around and making up gifts begins.

In response to Ed's note, I'm still working on that kind of productivity, but I have discovered that making several of the same model in a given "run" helps cut the time down. For instance when I'm making Cigars, it's quicker to cut and drill blanks for half a dozen at once, then turn and assemble at once rather than doing each individually. Other improvements are still on the drawing board (at least for me).

cacardon

I'll throw in on that. Send some my way we'll get them all knocked out. Besides I could think of many worst things your wife could be having you do.

sbell111

A lesson learned from being a Dave Ramsey fan: Never loan money to a relative - It creates a master to slave relationship and Thanksgiving dinner will never taste the same until the debt is repaid or considered a gift instead of a loan.
That's just one more thing on the list that my buddy Dave is wrong about. Lending money to family when needed gives them help when needed without it being 'charity'. As long as you can afford the 'loan' and don't attach any expectations, there is no harm.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
hmm

That's just one more thing on the list that my buddy Dave is wrong about. Lending money to family when needed gives them help when needed without it being 'charity'. As long as you can afford the 'loan' and don't attach any expectations, there is no harm.
Would that be like an expectation of being repaid?

sbell111

Yes.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Sounds the same

That sounds about like what I said only you "lend" without expecting to be repaid and I give....

sbell111

That sounds about like what I said only you "lend" without expecting to be repaid and I give....

The only difference is the person who receives the 'loan' gets to keep his dignity.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

I guess we don't look at that quite the same way...I see nothing undignified about accepting a gift freely offered as opposed to accepting a loan and "knowing" I owe them money everytime I run into the lender. quote=sbell111;1327003]

The only difference is the person who receives the 'loan' gets to keep his dignity.[/quote]

LeeR

I'd ask her to provide some capital expenditure funds for your MUCH needed upgrades, add-ons, materials, etc. :wink:

Last edited:

sbell111

I guess we don't look at that quite the same way...I see nothing undignified about accepting a gift freely offered as opposed to accepting a loan and "knowing" I owe them money everytime I run into the lender.

The only difference is the person who receives the 'loan' gets to keep his dignity.
Your way presumes that everyone feels the same way. Mine allows for people who feel differently.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Does it?

I don't think you are correct either about what my way presumes or yours allows.
I guess we don't look at that quite the same way...I see nothing undignified about accepting a gift freely offered as opposed to accepting a loan and "knowing" I owe them money everytime I run into the lender.

Your way presumes that everyone feels the same way. Mine allows for people who feel differently.

sbell111

I'm pretty sure that no matter how I fall on any issue, you will argue against it. Therefore, I think that I'll pass on replying to you further about this issue.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

I'm pretty sure that no matter how I fall on any issue, you will argue against it. Therefore, I think that I'll pass on replying to you further about this issue.
Steve, in case your memory is short you took the 1st position "against" my post #16 your post #20 quoting it (along with another post). That being the case I could say the same thing regardless of what my position is you'll be against it.

sbell111

Steve, in case your memory is short you took the 1st position "against" my post #16 your post #20 quoting it (along with another post). That being the case I could say the same thing regardless of what my position is you'll be against it.

Look again. I responded to 76winger's Dave Ramsey comment.

ren-lathe

Since I have more than one lathe when my wife did that to me a couple of years ago, I set her up on one of the lathes & had her turn her own. She had fun. Every now & then will turn something & always let me know what she wants as gifts well in advance

Top Bottom