Kids would have told me, DON'T...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I can't explain why I keep looking for stuff to mix with resin and make pen blanks with when, I have more wood than one can poke a stick at, resin and power are damn expensive, the "bits" I buy are not for free, far from it and, I have already enough stuff to keep me busy...! silly, huh...???:redface:

Anyway, I saw some packets of colored beeds and other stuff used with them so I bough some bags and decided to put a wood divider on one of my x 6 pen blanks molds and make 3 blanks with the various materials, one was with the small round beeds only and the others with some of the shinny dividers that I see often used to make those beeds bracelets, neckless...!

I got also some bottles of silver and gold sparkles so, I mix a light colour resin added the sparkles and then pour all over the mold. The wood divider was 21mm high and that was a mistake, I should have made one another 10mm higher to stop the additives from the 2 adjoining blanks get mixed up but anyway, I got the various colours of each of the materials and sprinkle them on each half portion of the mold.

So far so good, I though...! I put the mold aside for about 10 minutes before I would check if the resin was starting to gel or not, which normally would take about 20 minutes or so. Well, I got a nasty surprise, the resin was jelled, just in time to scoup some of the beeds and dividers from the molds bottom but too late to mix them up evenly, the damn thing was far faster than ever before, the resin never leveled itself even after I quickly put it in the pressure pot at maximum pressure...!:mad:

An hour later, I got the mold out of the pot and the damn thing was hard as a rock, no stickiness on the molds surface, nothing so, I got the whole thing out of the mold and took it to the bandsaw for slicing/ripping.
Yeah, sure, a new blade and in seconds was smoking and blunt...???:confused::eek::mad:

Holy SSSSSUGAR, why did I not think from what these beeds are made with/from...??? If I had any kids, they would have told me something that I long forgot so, I wasn't a "happy camper":mad::mad:

Was too late for the bandsaw blade so, I persisted I got the 6 blanks cut but far from straight and the 3TPI tooth on that blade was...! not a lot of teeth left...!:eek::frown:

I got that far, I wasn't going to give up now so, I put a blue (made for all sorts of materials, glass included, well sort of...!) sanding disk of my sander, got the blanks fairly straight, not without burning my fingers a couple of times, and then was time to turn one of each as the samples, right...???

I had a couple of options there but I did not hesitate in using my 36grit x 4" Flap disc sander/grinder and take it for a spin...!
What a spin that was too, those glass beeds are tough customers to cut, particularly in areas where was high concentration of them due to the inability to mix them properly trough the resin so, once again I persisted and got it round as I wanted.

The new Flap disc was totally destroyed, it would cut butter in summer time so, I had the rough 36 grit marks all over the blank and none of the usual sandpapers/grits could be used, they were useless on the glass so, I endup using some still sanding papers to get the scratches out. That was finally achieved so the rest was easy, as the CA coating would go as any other sample, thanks goodness for that, too...!:redface:

I reckon, gluing the beeds of the brass tube and then casting it as its done with many other materials attached to the brass tube, would be a lot better and less wastage of materials and time, I've got plenty of brass tubes for the El Grande pen, from a project that never went ahead so, I may try that, and see what happens...!

For god sake, why didn't I remember hat beeds are make of grass...???:eek::mad:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 317
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

George, every one of your posts is an adventure.:) Always entertaining and usually I think, "Whew, I'm glad that wasn't me!"

Thanks for taking us along on your experiments.:)

tim self

George, I love reading your stories and this one gets me to wondering if you may have a wee bit of old timers desease. Now that was one funny story!

Russknan

+1 on the enjoyment of your stories, George. As to this one, I am reminded of an old expression my brother John likes to quote. It might apply here. "Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear eats you!"

robutacion

Hahahah, thanks everyone...!

Well Jim, you may have hit the nail right in the head, there are lots of things that have been happening to me since I cross the 40's, and I'm skeptical in mentioning the things that knock on my door, since the 50's set in now, half way the the 60's, I'm not even try to explain/justify some of the silly things I do that, when I come to my senses, I wonder what in a heck is going on...!:redface:

I find it a lot more healthier to be able to make a joke and get a laugh out of my own silly mistakes, than spend the energy trying to hide them or make believe, they never happened after all, these are all minor aspects of the human nature and who is out there that can say they are immune of such mistakes, who...???

I could have very easily said, in the beginning of the thread that, I decided to try making a pen blank out of glass beeds and no one would know the difference, right...??? But, we would all have missed the funny part of the story, huh...???

Imagine is was someone out there, thinking in trying to cast some beeds, right now, do you think they would go ahead with it...??? I hope not, they would regret it big time so, take my free lesson and run...!:wink:

As for your question Bob, bugger if I know...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:
I have looked at those beads and thought about making a blank out of them before also. I thought they were made from plastic just as you did! You won't break any new ground by just doing what is safe that is for sure. Innovation always has a few lessons attached.

Top Bottom