Kids and pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Well, I have managed to get started with re-opening the wood shop at church recently. Only customers so far have been an 11 yo girl and her 8 yo brother and another 8 yo boy. All handled the tools well on turning (I did the sawing and drilling for the young-in's). The girl entered hers in the state fair and won first place for her group! Fun to get kids into it. The boys clipped theirs on the outside of their t-shirts and strutted around like it was a trophy. Now THAT"S fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

I have a steady stream of neighborhood and friends kids who "help" me in the shop. They are funny. They all want to embellish their pens with beads and coves and unique designs. It's a lot of fun and half the reason I bought a second lathe. They don't always come back after the first one but every one has left with a smile to go with their pen.

Paul in OKC

I have a second lathe at the house, and will get my daughter out there soon. She is more interested in the ceramics shop at church than making a pen. We have a couple of fun ministries there. I did the shop thing here a few years ago, and had quite a few folks come in. lots of retired folks looking for a hobby. Some still turn. The biggest thing I learned is patience, and not all can, or want to turn a pen that meets MY critique. The smile on the folks face at creating something themselves, is what it is all about there. If they want to get more serious, then we go there, but if not, then come on and have a little fun. Helped me lighten up a bit! (darn machinist brain, sometimes gets in the way)

Ligget

Thanks for helping the kids Paul, it will mean more to them than winning the lottery.

My 11 year old daughter loves to help out in my workshop, thank goodness I bought so many rubbish blanks when I first started turning, she uses these to practice on.

Top Bottom