Keeping track of types of Wood used for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DougMPhoto

What do you folks use to keep track of the types of wood and acrylic, etc. that you use for pens/pencils?

Do you put them in individual pen tubes with labels?

I am just starting and have quite a few types of blanks and a lot look similar but are marked as different woods.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

Doug, I am just beginning too but have amassed quite a collection of blanks. I went to the office supply store yesterday and got a pack of 500 paper tags with the little string on them. I am going to tape them to the blanks with all pertenant info like wood type, initial cost, .... whatever i think I might need. I will also use these tags on the finished pens to identify them and keep an inventory number on a spread sheet that I can print out when I go to a show or sale and keep track of inventory. This box of tags cost me $12 and will save a lot of headaches trying to remember things in the future.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
JUst put a piece of masking tape on them and write the info with a sharpie. Most woods you can use the sharpie directly on the wood and it is visible. You will turn the writing away so wont matter about the ink.

DurocShark

If the OP is talking about completed pens, so far I've been able to remember what's what. Tags are a good idea though.

For unworked blanks, a sharpie works, or tape with a sharpie for dark materials.

rsitzejr

I printed out cards with my name, left a blank for pen/insert type and wood type. I fill this out when I turn a pen and attach it to the pen, that way I can remember what kind of wood I used.

Rangertrek

Number System

I have been doing this for about 7 months, and have accumulated a few blanks and kits.

I use a number system for my blanks. I have a spreadsheet with a list of wood speices with a number (1-50,etc.) I write the number on the end of the blank. I store the blanks in a drawer so I can see the numbers.

I also keep a spreadsheet with each purchase of blanks and kits wiht the date and costs. I have a spreadsheet with my 'production' list, which has my number, date, kit, blanks, cost, etc. This is how I keep track of a cost for a pen.

I also use the paper tags with my number, wood, kit, and the sale cost.

There is also a database on the IAP done by a member that you can use to track kits, bushings, etc.

S

spiritwoodturner

I got those shoe storage cabinets at Home Depot. They're laminate material, in kit form, and although I could make one, they go together in 2 minutes and the price was right. I have over 200 different wood and acrylic varieties and these things really worked great for me. The pocket size is great, I label each pocket with a Sharpie and off I go.

If you try one and don't like it, you can also just take it back. That's a plus.

Dale

GaryMadore

I *almost* wish that tracking materials was a problem for me ;)

I turn in onesies and twosies and, so far, haven't had any trouble remembering what I used when I give them away.

Then again, maybe I have had trouble remembering and just didn't realize it... Either way, we're all happy. Heh

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:

papaturner

I use the plastic shoe boxes ,these I number then catalog the different woods in a 3 ring binder with any info I think I might need along with the number box it is stored in.

nava1uni

I write the name either in white out. I use Bic white out pens. It turns off. I stopped using sharpies for marking because sometimes it didn't turn off, especially on the ends or if I wanted a larger body pen.

ngeb528

Doug,

If I have several of the same type, I put them in a Ziplok and write the type on the bag.

A Sharpie works well for individuals.

I use a labeler to mark the bags on finished pens.

Nancy

DougMPhoto

Thanks. Actually I WAS talking about finished pens in the original post, but I like your ideas for the spreadsheet and costs with BEFORE the pen is turned also.

Getting tags and boxes this week. Oh yeah, whiteout, too.

Rangertrek...good idea...actually I bought a bag of blanks from Woodcraft and they all have numbers on the ends with a cross reference sheet.

Chris Bar

That's what I like to see Joe, dedication to the max! I'm kinda like Gary, forget what it was and who I gave them to....when getting old being forgetful has its good points.....you meet so many new friends every day :biggrin:.

rherrell

1_14.jpg
I have room for 108 boxes on these shelves but it didn't take long to run out of room. I've added another few shelves elsewhere since this photo was taken. I have around 150 now.:wink:

Doug,
I use a spreadsheet format to keep track of my inventory, plus what woods I have on hand... I use a number log system for everything I make, and everything gets a 7 digit number... first two are category numbers... 10=for bowls, 12=candle holders, 33=pens, etc... then a sequential number for the item... I use it as the catalog number on my web site, ETSY and Art-Fire.... for wood inventory, I also keep a spreadsheet with for wood, acrylics and poly-resin blanks on hand... one spreadsheet for wood and one for non-wood each with a different numbering system for wood and another for non-wood.... but it's getting to be lots of work and I'm thinking about Joeatact's penbox program... I think I can adapt it to do the same thing.... it's worth looking at anyway.

Last edited:

JohnU

I lable my wood blanks with a pencil but so far have remembered what they are by looking at them, from using the wood. As for the pens, I take a digital pic everytime I make a new pen (according to wood type or design) and name it by wood so I can pull them up on my flash drive where ever I am and show to potential customers for their choice.

JohnU

1_14.jpg
I have room for 108 boxes on these shelves but it didn't take long to run out of room. I've added another few shelves elsewhere since this photo was taken. I have around 150 now.:wink:

Rick, thats the cleanest shop I have ever seen! do you really work in there?

I wish I was that organized. Very Nice!

Doug,
I use a spreadsheet format to keep track of my inventory, plus what woods I have on hand... I use a number log system for everything I make, and everything gets a 7 digit number... first two are category numbers... 10=for bowls, 12=candle holders, 33=pens, etc... then a sequential number for the item... I use it as the catalog number on my web site, ETSY and Art-Fire.... for wood inventory, I also keep a spreadsheet with for wood, acrylics and poly-resin blanks on hand... one spreadsheet for wood and one for non-wood each with a different numbering system for wood and another for non-wood.... but it's getting to be lots of work and I'm thinking about Joeatact's penbox program... I think I can adapt it to do the same thing.... it's worth looking at anyway.

I intended to add that on finished pens, I attach a jewelry tag to the clip with the number, and sometimes the price, but since I often change pricing for different shows, that means I have to go through and change tags when I change pricing. It's easier to change the spreadsheet and just have it handy for the shows if I need to refer to a price sheet.

bradh

I stopped using sharpies for marking because sometimes it didn't turn off, especially on the ends or if I wanted a larger body pen.
I write the wood type on the corner rather than the middle of the blank. That ensures the marking will turn off.

There are also jewelry label tags that can be bought on-line or from a jewelry store. They have adhesive on the ends, but not the middle. Loop over the clip without sticking to the clip.

jkeithrussell

After the finish has cured, I put the pen back into the pen kit bag and write on the outside of it with a sharpie what type of material was used. That way I know both the type of kit and the material used.

Pocono Bill

This is a great topic. I usually know the wood beforehand, but can get confused along the way. When I am ready to do a pen (pencil, letter opener, etc) I choose the hardware (Titanium, 10K, chrome, pearl, etc) and then the blank to go with it. Tonight I finished a pink acrylic with chrome hardware. I take the blank, cut it to approximate lengths, put it in the bag with the appropriate hardware and use a Sharpie to write on the bag what I have. After completion I try to write out a tag right away.

I like the suggestion of jewelers tags (sticky at both end) and I also like the spreadsheet idea. I would really like to see examples of that.

Bill

arioux

For those who might be interested, sharpie now make a silver pen. works great on dark wood and write better than the white out liquid.

Attachments

• sh_mtl_slv_on.jpg
    sh_mtl_slv_on.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom