Keeping track of pen kit models? What do I have?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

Well, I've gotten myself into a slight dilemma. As a new pen turner, I've purchased a variety of kits. Of course, bushings was the initial dilemma but, now have a new one.

I've got a folder/case and there are a few that I really like. But, I did not keep the original packing with the completed pen. That leaves me not able to identify the few kits that I may like to order again.

How do you keep track of the different models of pens AFTER you finish them?

Thought of making one of each and just labeling everything about it and storing.

Appreciate any tips.

Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

This will come with time. You need to set up your own system. You can take photos of the kits and a finished pen and keep a flash drive or some other recording device. Keep a photo album. You need to be more organized. Also pick kits you want to make all the time and when you do that they will become etched in the memory. Good luck.

jcm71

Agree with John. When I first started I was in the same boat as you. After about 50 pens made (wild a__guess), I started an Excel spreadsheet. My spreadsheet fields are serial number, date made, pen kit, plating, pen blank, ball point, rollerball or fountain, refill, price, sell date, sold to, sale price, and picture. Seems like a lot, but once you build your spreadsheet, it's a snap to enter data. It's also pretty easy to build macros so that you can sort your inventory which ever way you want. Hope this helps.

RegisG

I can do that. Better now than later. I'm up to 16 pens. Even if I can't I'd the ones I have done it will photo and put in spreadsheet.
Need to get organized like both of you said and now is the time.
Thanks,
Regis

The
Agree with John. When I first started I was in the same boat as you. After about 50 pens made (wild a__guess), I started an Excel spreadsheet. My spreadsheet fields are serial number, date made, pen kit, plating, pen blank, ball point, rollerball or fountain, refill, price, sell date, sold to, sale price, and picture. Seems like a lot, but once you build your spreadsheet, it's a snap to enter data. It's also pretty easy to build macros so that you can sort your inventory which ever way you want. Hope this helps.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Here's another tip that I wish I realised when I started....:redface:

Over the months and years ahead, you will acquire many blanks from friends and from PITH swaps etc.... The minute you get them, write on them what they are and who gave them to you. :wink:

I have some stunning blanks that I am embarrassed to say that I cannot for the life of me remember who gave them to me.:redface:

RegisG

OOP's. Need to start that one toooo.
Regis

Over the months and years ahead, you will acquire many blanks from friends and from PITH swaps etc.... The minute you get them, write on them what they are and who gave them to you. :wink:

I have some stunning blanks that I am embarrassed to say that I cannot for the life of me remember who gave them to me.:redface:

magpens

I use stringed tags to identify my finished pens with kit name, blank type, date, price, etc.

I get the tags from Staples, but I think any big stationery store would sell them. . The cost about $5.00 for a pack of 50.
Problem with this method is that the strings/tags get tangled up and they also obscure viewing of your nice pens.

A better method is to get little dumbbell-shaped jewellery tags from a jewellery supply store or maybe Michaels. Write a serial number on the tag and the selling price (if you are selling). . Then keep an inventory book (or spreadsheet) recording the serial numbers and all the data about that particular pen. . This method requires some discipline, and getting in the habit of recording everything on your computer or in the book ... doesn't take long once you get your method set up but you have to remember to go to your computer and do it.

Last edited:

jbg230

This is an antique dental cabinet my grandfather had in his garage that he painted mint green. (everything was painted in those days) I re-finished it to the point that it was acceptable in my workshop. Who knew it would be perfect for pen blanks on one side, pen kits on the other, and lathe accessories and such in the bottom drawers.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=159911&stc=1&d=1487184919

Attachments

• Antique Dental Cabinet.jpg
    Antique Dental Cabinet.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 273

Bikerdad

:bananen_smilies046:

WONDERFUL idea. And since I only have one set of blanks from someone else, I can jump on it before I'm behind the curve.

Top Bottom