Keeping track material use in a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Being faily new to the hobby I have a question on how you keep track of what wood the pen is made of and what plating was used. I made a bunch of pens and now can't remember what some of the wood is or what plating was on the kits. Do you keep a log or some other record?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

I keep a list of all the pens I've madem including materials, style, plating, etc. I sequentially number my pens and keep photo records of each of them as well. This allows me to reference a past pen in case someone wants a matching or similar pen.

Splinter

I keep a list of all the pens I've madem including materials, style, plating, etc. I sequentially number my pens and keep photo records of each of them as well. This allows me to reference a past pen in case someone wants a matching or similar pen.

Me too. I use a spreadsheet program to record all the data about the pens and kits.

papaturner

Tom, My way is probably over kill but I keep a log with the kit,kit cost,kit finish,material turned, the cost of material,material use for accent(if used),the cost of that material,the finish put on the pen and the type refill. Each pen is numbered and the number corresponds to the number on a card given to the customer . On the card is stamped Handcrafted by Perry Bridges. Also on the card is the type kit used, Plating of the kit, material turned,accent material,and the type refill. Each pen has a jewelry tag with the number that matches the card and the log. Like I said a bit of over kill but it helps me keep up with what I have done.
Hope this will help.

tbroye

Thanks guy that about what I thought. It was fine when I didn't have many pens but all of sudden there are a bunch and trying to decided which one is Chrome or Platinum is a pain. Will now start some kind of log.

Rudy Vey

I used to do this when I started making pens and then I made maybe a pen per week. As soon as you get into making bigger numbers of pens, it didn't work for me anymore. Now I pretty much know all the woods I use, the style of the kits and my finish, so I don't see a need to keep track of everything.

Top Bottom