In keeping with Ian's question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I didn't want to hijack Ian's thread, but have a question on the bullets used in cartridge pens...

What do you guys use to hold the bullet to drill it out as a nib... I don't have a collet system and if that's what's needed, guess I need to get one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Last edited:

fernhills

I didn't want to hijack Ian's thread, but have a question on the bullets used in cartridge pens...

What do you guys use to hold the bullet to drill it out as a nib... I don't have a collet system and if that's what's needed, guess I need to get one.

This is what i used before i had a collet. I used it in my 4 jaw chuck. it is easy to make. Carl

Attachments

• 20090816_1.jpg
    20090816_1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 114

Sylvanite

When I first started making rifle cartridge pens, I used homemade wood collets in a scroll chuck to grip the case and bullet when drilling. They worked, but not nearly as well as steel collets in a Beall chuck.

Regards,
Eric

papaturner

Chuck, It appears my way is the simpliest. I take the waste from a very hard (wood) blank, I drill a hole the size of the bullet then split it corner to corner and then drill on my drill press. Using the wood to secure the bullet in my blank drilling gig. Hope this helps and doesn`t confuse.

Top Bottom