Keeping glue out of a tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scoots

Just wondering what people use to keep glue out of their tubes when they insert the tubes into blanks. I've seen people use dental wax and play-doh. I've never capped the tubes before, but I'm hoping this will keep the tubes cleaner so they run more true when I turn between centers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

I use the dental wax. Works well for me. use an exacto knife to remove.
i use old dial caliper inside measuring jaws to scrape the i.d. clean after that.
Seems to be a reuse, great use for the broken calipers.
I then use a deburring tool to chamfer the edges after trimming the ends.
The little chamfer is nice for many reasons.

zig613

I use a thin slice of a apple. There are affordable, we always have have some in the fridge, I eat the remainder and by the time I go to trim the ends of the blanks the next day the apple has dried and it is easily removed (practically falls out).

Wade

Lenny

Used a slice of potato at first, have since switched to play dough. Clean up the tubes afterwards with a brass brush used for cleaning gun barrels. Then a handheld countersink to slightly chamfer the ends.

Mickey

While holding the tube upright on a flat surface take a small piece of paper towel and stuff it down into the tube with a small dowel. Tamp it down and then after inserting the tube into the blank just poke the paper out. Works very well.

byounghusband

Make your dentist a pen and you will have a lifetime supply of Dental Wax. AMHIKT!!!

I use a knife to scrape the wax out and a De-burring tool if there is any residue if necessary.

sgimbel

I put the glue on the tube then quickly spin it in the blank. There is no way for glue to get in the tube. Am I missing something?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I use Gorilla Glue so any glue that gets inside the tube is just foam that is easily removed by the pilot of the pen mill. I hand crank the the pilot into the hole.

Mickey

I put the glue on the tube then quickly spin it in the blank. There is no way for glue to get in the tube. Am I missing something?

Yes. If the tube fits the least bit snug all the glue will be wiped off the front end leaving only the last part of the tube entering the blank with glue on it.

dontheturner

For about ten years now, I have been making pens, and I don't do any of that. I always run a cotton bud, down every tube, coated with a little vaseline, from the handy jar., Before i start gluing up with Epoxy two part. When the epoxy is dry, I push out any dried glue, with a thin dowel. don

Top Bottom