Keeping double barrel blanks aligned after turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I'm sure someone has a good trick to keep blanks marked as to polarity/grain after turning. Of course I mark them during drilling/cutting, but it's often a challenge to keep them straight after turning and finishing. Scratching inside of larger tubes works, but 7mm tubes are really tough to see. Any tips or tricks?

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Well, yes, I have also done that. Sometimes it wears off. I like the scratch as it shows both the polarity and where the grain lines up. It should be easy to tell, but sometimes it's not and you stand there stupidly rotating the blanks trying to make up your mind. Thanks for the suggestions, though. :)

Mr Vic

I have a board with nails to slip my blanks on when done. I take the right hand blank of with hand right hand and the middle/center is naturally up as I rotate the hand to place on the rack. Repeat for the left blank in the left hand and the center/middle is up. I also mark inside the tube.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
These are all good answers, but remember if you are MAKING the pen and are not sure where the grain lines up, it is unlikely anyone ELSE will be able to see it, if you make a mistake!! It has to be pretty subtle!!

mecompco

These are all good answers, but remember if you are MAKING the pen and are not sure where the grain lines up, it is unlikely anyone ELSE will be able to see it, if you make a mistake!! It has to be pretty subtle!!

Ed, you are probably correct--I do tend to overthink things at times. If "I" can see a flaw in one of my pens, then I'm not happy with it. I'm thinking that may be something we all here suffer from. 99% of customers will never know the difference and won't care--they will be happy with their new pen. I hope we all strive for perfection, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Obvious flaws need to be fixed or scrapped, but little things are probably OK. Thanks for your experienced opinion!

Oh, and congrats on getting moved into the new location--got to place an order soon!

Regards,
Michael

WriteON

Good thread...I do like ed4's reply.

Acrylic is forgiving...But wood...when the highly figured grain matches up...oh baby.

papaturner

I agree with you Ed..............................However I still know that the flaw is there regardless of how small and difficult it may be. But I`m sure I have missed some myself. Btw I have great respect for all your input. Thanks.

Aces-High

I do the mark on the inside of the tube, but I also have a corresponding mark that I line up on my live center in my TS just in case the mark on the inside rubs off.

Top Bottom