Keep it or burn it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Billd62

I have a large amount of African Mahogany that is 3/4" x 3/4". They are leftovers from milling material for a job. It is mostly straight grain. Should I keep this? I hate the thought of burning material that could be deemed usable by someone.

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerryS

If you don't have room for it then try to sell or trade it here , I'm sure someone would be interested in some of it .

Billd62

Now that I have my answer I will get a couple of pics posted and see what I should charge, or if anyone wants to trade for some.

Thanks for the input everyone,
Bill

Billd62

Pictures

I took a rather plain looking piece and turned it then put some friction polish on it to see what it looked like. Here are two pics. Any suggestions as to how much I should charge for this if I were to try and sell in classifieds?

Attachments

• African Mahogany.1.jpg
    African Mahogany.1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 120
  • African  Mahogany2.jpg
    African Mahogany2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 108

Texatdurango

I have a large amount of African Mahogany that is 3/4" x 3/4". They are leftovers from milling material for a job. It is mostly straight grain. Should I keep this? I hate the thought of burning material that could be deemed usable by someone.

Bill
About half of my furniture is mahogany so I have tons of cutoffs myself and while it looks really nice as furniture it really is pretty bland for pens, stoppers or anything small.

A while back I gave away a bunch of mesquite to new turners and quickly ran out so substituted mahogany. I doubt any masterpieces were turned from it but suspect a lot of practice was done as it's easy wood to turn.

I like the idea of sending Jeff some for his mug-o-blanks, I'll have to remember that.

John Eberly

Mahogany

I've made some pens from andiroba, which must be a mahogany variant - looks pretty much just like your pic.

With the right kit it looks really nice. I have used the Woodcraft Oxford - kind of a Parker style with all gold hardware. Looks really nice with the sort of reserved wood.

Pricewise, you're probably looking at a buck a blank tops. It might be good for trading or for making friends, but some folks just don't appreciate simple wood.

Top Bottom