KC Twist Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawry76

For those of you who make KC Twist pens, or your own variation of them, at what point in the CA/BLO process do you cut the grooves in the cap end blank? Just before your final sanding? I was concerned about too much build-up in the cut grooves.

Thanks again

woodscavenger

That is a good question. I am interested in hearing the results of this question. I think the answer in my shop depends on how deep I want the grooves. Lately I have only been doing vey light grooves with a skew tip. They are "V" shaped and not very deep. I add them after I have sanded to about 600. I do the grooves then touch it again with the same paper to debur the edges then finish the pens. I find that even when I do not burn the lines they darken very nicely during the finishing process.

When I do thicker lines I try to use a fingernail or thin metal strip to push my paper towel in the groove to stop thick buildup. Sometimes it works....sometimes..... When it doesn't work, and if I have a thick ugly buildup I gently use the wire burner to clean it out again. Sometimes it works....sometimes.....

vick

On my pens with burn lines I usually burn right after 400 grit then finsh sanding. I am carefully to wife of the blank after each grit with a rab with a little alcohol on it paying special attention to the burn lines. But I usually go with a sanding sealer, friction polish finish for this type of pen. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom