Katalox tends to split?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Yesterday one of our members (Sylvanite) mentioned in a thread, that katalox tends to split and so he stopped using it. I have just "discovered" this wood and am very pleased with it. Has anyone had similiar experience with this wood splitting? The blanks I have are spalted burl, unstabilized.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Katalox is a pleasant wood in a lot of ways. It is close-grained, turns well, and polishes up nicely. It has distinctive dark violet color and the grain can be very pretty.

The problem with katalox, however, is not that it tends to split, but that it "moves" a lot. That is, it swells and shrinks with temperature changes more than most other woods do. You need to be very careful where you store katalox pens. I left a nice katalox cigar pen in a car overnight during the winter once. In the morning, both barrels showed brass tube through gaps where the wood had split. The lower barrel actually broke in half lengthwise. I still have a bunch of katalox turning stock, but I rarely use it after that.

Regards,
Eric

Gary Max

I have some that has been cut for years and it seems to be very stable. It was dryed very slowly, sitting in a box out in my shop. I had forgot it was there----Duh.

bitshird

I've done several Spalted Katalox Sap Wood pens, and no problems as yet, one is almost 2 years old, the problems may arise from moisture content.

Top Bottom