Just wondering why......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

......many of the pen kits that are available, today, have that big, ugly(IMO) chunk of threaded metal and plastic hardware on the end of the barrel opposite to the nib. Most all of the commercially produced pens that you see.....both the modestly priced pens and the luxury pens.....have relatively little hardware at that location and I don't remember ever seeing one that had threads to accept posting the cap. Berea has a kit(Streamline American) that has a relatively small piece of threaded metal on the end of the pen barrel and there are a few non-posting kits(Jr. Statesman, for one) that have a smooth metal end piece.

I wonder why the kits that are available to us don't more closely mirror the style of the pens that most of us are used to seeing and using???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I do believe some look and feel like the regular pens we see regularly.

On the ones you described...I don't like them that much too but they add to being "unique" so I don't mind it much. Some are very classy but don't feel right to me.

The designs (I think) are dictated by the nature of how we make the pens that other manufacturing process don't have to deal with.

btboone

It probably has something to do with the ease of manufature. If there are metal parts hanging off, it means that the turner only has to make tubes of wood rather than fancy closed off shapes like high end commercial pens.

chigdon

I have to agree with this. I have looked at a lot of high end commercial pens and most don't post the cap and almost all of the ones that do are more like a Turban Top. I think that kits will always have a metal end for ease of construction but I don't know why Craft Supply is the only one with a tapered end. I also agree with the Streamlined end -- very nice -- but the kit is not nearly as nice as the Baron, for instance.

vick

Randy,
If you dont want your pens to post start making solid bodies. The way the kits come you have the option to go either way. I think part of the reason they come that way is what others have said it is easire to turn tubes then solid bodies, and the market the we cater to is in most cases a little different than the high end pen market. The average Joe that would fork over for a hand turned pen would usually say "where an I going to put the cap". People that will fork over $300 for a high end fountain pen would know wher to put the cap[:p]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
And is the Average Joe gives you grief where to put the cap on the solid body pen he is looking at...
<b>TELL HIM EXACTLY WHERE HE CAN PUT IT..</b>[:p][:p]
If he can't appreciate ingenuity and craftsmanship he will probably break the sucker anyway... [:(!][:(!]

vick

Tom,
I try to be understanding, truth be told when I started off I prefered the Jr. Gent with the threads in stead of the cap. Now I can not believe I ever wanted to post the cap. I also used to think Gents Ligero's, and cigars were to big, now I love them. If we give our customers time for there tastes to evolve we can sell them 2 pens instead of 1[:D]

chigdon

The main problem I have with the end of the Barons is that at least half of the people grab it and start unscrewing the threaded end instead of the cap. If it were more low key like the Streamlined pen it would be much better and for a bonus more wood shows. Does anyone have any idea why the metal end protrudes so far beyond the threads?

alamocdc

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />The main problem I have with the end of the Barons is that at least half of the people grab it and start unscrewing the threaded end instead of the cap. If it were more low key like the Streamlined pen it would be much better and for a bonus more wood shows. Does anyone have any idea why the metal end protrudes so far beyond the threads?

The only thing I can tell is that it's where the spring goes for the roller refill.

Randy_

Originally posted by vick<br />...If you dont want your pens to post start making solid bodies....I think part of the reason they come that way is what others have said it is easire to turn tubes then solid bodies...The average Joe that would fork over for a hand turned pen would usually say "where an I going to put the cap"....

Vick: I think you are exactly correct....since that is the kind of pen that appeals to me, I will just have to build my own!! I don't object to "some" metal on the "other" end, just don't like the "big" hunk that is on most kits. A small piece like the finial on the cap ....or slightly smaller.....would suit me just fine. And "NO" threads....a lot of the high dollar pens do have posting caps; but they are a friction fit on a tapered body.....not screwed on. I think that is where the difficulty lies from a manufacturing point of view. The pen barrel will turn just the same whether you have a big chunk of threaded plastic and metal hanging off the end or a much smaller metal high-lite. Think about the tapered tip on the end of the non-posting Jr. Gent; but reduced to 1/3 or 1/4 of of the size as now supplied.

Don(it's virgil) showed a picture of a kit called the Regency that he got from Craft Supply in the UK that is in the vicinity of what I am contemplating.

Maybe I'll fool with it down the road. Right now I am playing with some variations of Ron's Celtic Knot or the double X as some call it. That particular design really appeals to me.

wayneis

Randy the Regency is a kit to consider but I'll warn you that the finish on the metal will not be anything like you are used to. I bought some of those along with the ambassador kits and the metal was awfull, all scrathed and I could tell that the plating was not anywhere close to as thick as what I am used to getting with either Berea or Craft Supply kits. It is to bad because they are unique kits and other than the metal finish they are pretty good.

Wayne

Don(it's virgil) showed a picture of a kit called the Regency that he got from Craft Supply in the UK that is in the vicinity of what I am contemplating.

Randy_

Thanks, Wayne. I wasn't really planning to buy that kit.....just mentioned it as an example of the style of pen I was thinking about; but it is always good to have information about the quality of specific kits. By the time you pay for shipping from the UK, those kits would be pretty pricey and one would be very dissappointed to receive a kit of mediocre quality!!

vick

It strikes me that with the exception of the wooden nib section (probably using wrong word) you could adapt a Jr Gent/Baron and get close. Basically just turn the body as a solid body and make a custom final for the cap.

How about this style? The one on the top of the photo.

2005911131636_Pens-2005-New-Year-0016.jpg

Randy_

The top pen is a CSUSA "Executive" kit unless I am mistaken. That"IS" the type of design I am looking for. Don't know how I missed it, before....just "discovered" it after starting this thread and reviewing the CSUSA catalog for the 37th time. Only problem is it only comes in a 10 k plating. I would be a lot happier with a titanium plating; but I guess I will order a few and see how they turn out first hand!! Thanks.

Thumbs

Randy, If you're not a brand name purist, look on page 28 of PSI's new catalog and check out the "Traditional" which has two different configurations in both a rollerball and fountain pen. Even the "Big Ben/Cigar" has a similar look on that page. I can't vouch for any of these but they might be possibilities for you to consider.

Randy_

Thanks for pointing out that kit, Bob. I'm not a real fan of the PSI kits in general and that kit in particular. It fits the general outline of the design that I like; but I don't care for the black enamel clip or the fact that it only comes in 24k plating. Another problem with that kit is the fact that the cap is a snap cap rather than a screw-on if I am not mistaken??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom