Just turned and see a problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I just turned a bow lower half of a pen. It had a crack in the blank and I thin CA'ed it every few minutes. It is ready for finishing and the crack still shows. This is even after sanding with 220 and CA glue.

What would you do now the crack is visible its about 1" long and a 1//64th wide.

I thought about inlaying a turquoise powder. Or I could turn another BOW blank and sand the turning for the powdered saw dust. And then inlay the sawdust. Any other ideas?

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I've filled cracks in BOW with black CA, turquoise and BOW dust. It all works. Whatever you use depends on the look you want. IMHO I think BOW is one of the woods that, in some cases, cracks can enhance the look of the pen!

marcruby

I see this as an opportunity to experiment. I'm definitely on the flaunt it side, turquoise, silver or pewter, almost anything that would turn the 'flaw' into a design feature.

Rick_G

I generally wet sand at 600 grit with thin CA as the lubricant. If it's big a couple times usually fixes it. Forces the sanding dust into the crack and if it is still visible it looks like normal grain pattern.

nava1uni

I also see this as an opportunity to be creative. I would dig the crack out a little with a dental pick and then fill it with either stone fill, embossing powder or colored CA to add a decorative element to the final pen.

Rifleman1776

If I can't deliver a perfect pen, I don't. As Rick said, "trash it".
Or, my alternative, turn it into what I call a 'shop pen', in other words a junk kick-around that you don't let anyone else see. Show only your best.

chriselle

If I can't deliver a perfect pen, I don't. As Rick said, "trash it".
Or, my alternative, turn it into what I call a 'shop pen', in other words a junk kick-around that you don't let anyone else see. Show only your best.

I agree. Show only your best. Keep the "rejects" for around the shop. I have my fair share of those..:biggrin:

airrat

I would fill it with something and see how it looks. I just did a pen out of Maple Burl and it had alot of little cracks in it. I left them and filled with CA. The guy I made them for loved the look.

Top Bottom