Just a thought....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasontg99

I have seen bowlmakers be able to make several bowls out of a single blank. I was wondering, is there such a tool, such as a thin hole saw, that would allow you to get two blanks out of a larger blank (ie 7/8" or 1" blank)? That way you could make a larger pen and have a blank for a slimline.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think it "could" be done, but the patience and time required would make it nearly prohibitive. I have been contemplating a mammoth pen and the expense makes me want to do the very thing you mentioned.

In my wild imagination and thoughts, I would get some thin tubing just smaller than the tube needed for the larger pen. I would take the smaller tube and cut some teeth in it and use that to drill slow slow slow on the lathe - over a period of a week maybe. Cut 1/4 to 3/8 inch per day. There should be enough left for a slimline.

The problem would be overcoming the heat and the second problem would be having the proper set in the teeth of the saw tube.

My wild dream idea! :wink:

jasontg99

Konbanwa Hank-san. I guess I am not the only one wonderin this. You have an interesting idea. I may have to try it out. I saw in one of your posts a few days ago that you will be back in the states in a little over a year. How long have you been here? I will be leaving in Feb. I have been here for two years. It is time to go!

jasontg99

? How many pens are you not going to be able to turn while just drilling this one blank?
Is that really better thank buying a second blank?

This is more for the "special woods", not every blank. I recently turned a chittum burl blank and felt like I was wasting a ton of the wood as I drilled it for a full size emperor. Like I said, I was just curious.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Konbanwa Hank-san. I guess I am not the only one wonderin this. You have an interesting idea. I may have to try it out. I saw in one of your posts a few days ago that you will be back in the states in a little over a year. How long have you been here? I will be leaving in Feb. I have been here for two years. It is time to go!

I leave December 20, 2010! At least that is the planed date. That will be 2 weeks shy of 25 years here for LOML and me. I actually have one more year plus one month of work after that in the States before "official" retirement.

When we came, my youngest was 2 1/2. She came back for a visit (from the States) with her husband and 2 year old son last month. Time sure flies!

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

If you were to try it I would recommend cutting the blank in half first. It might be easier. I bet one of the metal workers could come up with a thin enough cutter that it would work.

Top Bottom