Just some crazy thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I compared several Stainless steel component hardware to two common kits. was looking for the thinnest of the kits. they were determined by ratio between t he cap diameter and the lower diameter.

the biggest difference was the Baron/Sedona pen the smallest difference was the S/S nightHawk.
ratio
Baron = 12.8 dif.
Jr GentlemenII = 8.4
Eagle = 8.4
Sicilian = 8.4
Desire = 8.1
The Venetian = 7.8
Night Hawk = 7.1

the ratio is the difference between the cap and lower diameter of the tubing. This does not take account the differences between the bushing thickness. And the fact many turners make FAT Pens

Many customers ask about a thin rollerball or fountain pen.

I'm searching for overall thinness. any thoughs people

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panamag8or

Somebody really needs to make a thin, light, HIGH QUALITY FP kit with minimal bling and A PLASTIC SECTION.
The FP geeks on my FB and twitter spend money like it's going out of style, and I want something to convince them to buy handmade, rather than the latest mass-produced flavor of the month. My dream is a Presimo-type kit with a lighter and narrower section coupler, that I can make closed-end.

monophoto

Somebody really needs to make a thin, light, HIGH QUALITY FP kit with minimal bling and A PLASTIC SECTION.
The FP geeks on my FB and twitter spend money like it's going out of style, and I want something to convince them to buy handmade, rather than the latest mass-produced flavor of the month. My dream is a Presimo-type kit with a lighter and narrower section coupler, that I can make closed-end.

I can only wish. Realistically, however, I understand that the market for fountain pens is very small. There are two segments to that market - those who actually use the FPs they buy, and those who buy FPs as gifts. The seconcis much larger than the first, so that's where the component makers focus their attention. Hence, the unfortunate selection that those of us who really use FPs have to choose from.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

This was done on the Churchill and ElGrande. The penmaking community (US, on IAP) screamed loud enough that the part was changed to metal.

IAP members have evolved in many of their "opinions"----perhaps this is another avenue that should be "re-explored". (Don't think Berea will be doing it)

panamag8or

This was done on the Churchill and ElGrande. The penmaking community (US, on IAP) screamed loud enough that the part was changed to metal.

IAP members have evolved in many of their "opinions"----perhaps this is another avenue that should be "re-explored". (Don't think Berea will be doing it)

Ed, there was a huge thread on FPN about plastic vs. metal sections, and most of the people dislike the cold feel and lack of grip with the metal. The Presimo has a plastic section (and I absolutely love the metal caps), but I can't get past those huge couplers. I'm thinking about finding a machinist and having them make a few custom for me.

Top Bottom