Just one of those days...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Was making a stylus for my wife and it blewout right as I was finishing. I have segmented a couple of pieces together to replace the broken piece so I decided to Take a break from pens to finish some various Christmas presents.

Making some desk name plates for fellow co-workers. Also made a doll cradle and bathroom stool for little ones in the family. Got them finished and decided to get a little ahead.

I have an order for a new classic for first of the year. Got everything set and decided since I was drilling go ahead and drill the one trustone I've had for a year for myself. Was going to put it on an Emporer. Sure not much room for the drill bit on the 3/4" blank:eek: the drilling went fine till the very end and blew out the end. Going to have to wait and get a 7/8" blank from Ed and try again. :befuddled: time to give it up for today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toyotaman

I hate it when the end blows out like that. I try to predict when it nears the bottom and take very,very light drilling cuts on my acrylic blanks because they will bust through too. Slow drilling and keep your bit clean and cool is the key.

GoatRider

Truestone almost always breaks out a lot, I've heard. My first one did. So the best procedure is to cut the blank 1/4 inch long, don't drill all the way through, and then cut to length. I did that on my second one, and made earrings out of the cutoffs.

Fibonacci

I have gotten into the habit of setting the stop on the drill press slightly longer than the tube, but shorter than the blank.

Originally I was just making the right depth on my bits, but I had mixed results.

This way I can peck my way in until I hit the stop, then I know it is right.

TonyBal

Truestone almost always breaks out a lot, I've heard. My first one did. So the best procedure is to cut the blank 1/4 inch long, don't drill all the way through, and then cut to length. I did that on my second one, and made earrings out of the cutoffs.

That is a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? I'm not talking about the drilling, I'm talking about the earrings! :biggrin: (Actually both!!)

Top Bottom