Just How Long Will MM Last??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knucklefish

I bought a set of MM pads (1500-12000) and use them while wet sanding my CA finishes. I only use them wet sanding. I have made somewhere between 25-30 pens with them so far and it got me to wondering....just how many pens will they do before wearing out? Is there "signs" before the become ineffective? Have to say the last pen looked great but nothing lasts forever. Comments??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I can get well over 100 pens out of each set regularly. I dry sand by the way. The highest three grits will wear out faster than the others though.

Drstrangefart

My dad gave me his old MM after he got new ones. They've made around 70 pens since I got them. Still going strong. The only time I notice their age is when I use new ones and end up sanding through my finish on the rough end. Other than that, I have no real problems with it.

ldb2000

I've got over 100 pens on my latest set of pads and I also sand dry with them . The key is to keep them clean (I wash mine in the laundry in a small mesh bag) and to not over heat them while sanding .

KenV

The nature of abrasives is that they are consumable -- and will work less and less well as they are used more an more. At some point we decide to replace.

I remind myself that wornout 220 is not the same as fresh 400.

50-100 is a likely number -- I suspect wet sanding variants with frequent cleaning will provide best life -- but every thing with abrasives is a tradeoff.

Chasper

I believe my current active set of MM pads has been used for more than 3000 pens, always dry. They have been washed several times (put them in a bag or leave them in a pocket and run them through a regular washing machine). I've been thinking about getting a new set, maybe this year. . .

Top Bottom