Just getting started - But don't like click or twist pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hoss

So, I have finally gotten my lathe up and working and am enjoying the heck out of the whole turning process...

That being said, I do want to make pens, but I have a slight issue. For me pens have caps, removable caps. They are roller ball or fountain in the making. And this has kept me from pushing forward with lathe work up until recently.

I understand there may be some easier kits that will fit my desire (from discussing with some local turners at a store), but unsure of what kits would be a good place to start.

I know, it's alot cheaper to learn on slimlines and their ilk, but I just don't like them...

Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

Welcome -

I like doing slimlines and eurostyles as one piece pens because they show off the wood better.

Have fun!

Tomas

JeffT

Welcome and check out the Houston area forum page. We have meetings three to four times a year. Hope to meet you at one of them!

Kinger

I know PSI is the villian on these forums but for just starting out they might be a good place to go to, they got pretty large variety and have starter kits or bundles for almost everything that come with the bushings and bits pretty much for free with them

dexter0606

"Just getting started - But don't like click or twist pens"
You can start with any roller ball style you like. The problem is as you said they are a little more expensive.
I think maybe a kit like the Electra would be a good fit for you. A one piece barrel with a screw on postable cap. It's a nice kit.
Some places sell a "starter kit" that will give you almost everything you need for that particular kit (kits, drill bits and bushings)

The place I deal with has these. Just a thought.

William Wood-Write Ltd.

Russknan

I like the Jr. Gentlemen's for rollerball, and Tycoon for rollerball and fountain. I'd highly recommend that you buy a "pen disassembly kit" and some extra tubes for any of the styles you are going to turn. That way, if you don't like the outcome after putting the pen together, you can take it apart and re-do - for the cost of some tubes (and a blank). Also, I'm not in love with some of the assortments of blanks I bought in the beginning, especially since I didn't know to buy at least 3/4" in diameter. To save money, consider the olivewood 4-pack from Penn State for $13. The wood turns easily, smells nice, and finishes up well. There are other good, inexpensive choices out there, too. And people here have been incredibly helpful and giving. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Hoss

Jr Gents it is then...

The disassemble kits...I wouldn't have thought about that, thank you very much...

I will have to check on the pen blanks I have, see how many are 3/4 or larger...*laugh*...another good tip.

Probably be a month or so before I put in an order, but I can do some research and find the right suppliers for what I need...

Also, I will check out the Houston area forums...always nice to meet locals...

I know, strange person I am...but I just really like pens with caps...they just seem right, and I have to go with my gut on that...

bensoelberg

I've never understood the idea that a slimline is "easier" to learn than another style of pen. Cheaper - yes. Easier - no. For every pen that I've ever turned, (and I've done a large variety of styles) I take a blank, turn it round, make sure that the ends are a specific diameter, finish. All of them are pretty much that. Same routine means same level of difficulty. The only possible exception that I can think of is the old euro styles where a tenon was required, but most of those kits have been phased out.

Haynie

Capped pens are just as easy to make as those ones you do not like. I turned a sketch pen then went right to the Jr. Gent. Then went back to sierras. I did not think they were difficult. Of course my butt is being kicked lately on everything I try to do.

I think the Feng Shui of my shop is out of whack.

longbeard

I like the Atrax, very straight forward, easy, it lets you show off your blank, a Triton RB is nice kit also. For price and service, ya cant beat Exoticblanks. "Often copied....NEVER duplicated!!!"
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jr Gents it is then...

The disassemble kits...I wouldn't have thought about that, thank you very much...

I will have to check on the pen blanks I have, see how many are 3/4 or larger...*laugh*...another good tip.

Probably be a month or so before I put in an order, but I can do some research and find the right suppliers for what I need...

Also, I will check out the Houston area forums...always nice to meet locals...

I know, strange person I am...but I just really like pens with caps...they just seem right, and I have to go with my gut on that...
Also jr gents come in two styles - Jr Gent 1 and Jr Gent 2 and many finish options. PSI also offers Classics and Traditional in Fountain and Rollerball they are lower priced and larger pen Churchill and Ligero are available and won't break the bank

Top Bottom