Just a few points....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

So I've done a few things lately that have been a big help and I wanted to share.

First, a simple purchase. I bought a collet chuck from wooden whimsey's and I couldn't be happier. You talk about turning a blank nice and stable. I've also used it to chuck up mandrels and like it alot better than than the little "chuck" that some of the pro mandrels come with.

Second, more to the point: Someone recently posted a link (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...4128&catid=440) to a site with bulk clear acrylic rod. well, I spent less than 30 buck on 12 feet of 3/4 inch extruded acrylic and while it's got a few qualities that might make it less than suitable for pens, it's been an AWESOME way to practice turning acrylic AND producing a nice polished finish on things, not to MENTION it's helping me develop a VERY light touch for difficult materials. At a GLANCE you can see how your finish is doing without taking it off the lathe, scrutinizing it, anything. I've been cutting of 4 inches at a time and turning down random shapes, then polishing them just for the practice. Highly recomended before you go and spend 10 or 15 bucks on ONE nice acrylic or resin blank without having tried anything like it before.

This has actually helped me fine tune a finishing process that just involves some 600 grit sandpaper and the satin and gloss H.U.T. plastic polish sticks. I could probably throw some liquid paste plastic polish on top too, but even without it I'm getting a near mirror shine ...... SO much easier than 4 or 5 grits of sandpaper, then 8 levels of MM etc.....etc..... and before you ask, yes It's translated VERY nicely over to polishing up My CA finishes too on wood blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

How do you get the blank round and the correct size before putting it in the collet ?

Hmmm. I think I must be missing something.

Top Bottom