Just curious. . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markv

Just curious -

What's your absolute most favorite wood to turn and why?

and part II -

What do you turn the most and why? (may be the same as above but then again it may not)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Mark I don't think I have one favorite wood. I really like Amboyna burl, Rosewood burl, Olivewood burl, Cocobolo, .... The list goes on and on. What attracts me is the wood itself and the patterns it presents. All I want to do is "dress it up". Even Holly looks greats by itself when "dressed" up.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A little different "direction", but my favorite is olive or mango---cause they smell great!!!

Favorite to make for shows: "Essence of resin"---plastic pens sell.

GoodTurns

favorite WOOD is Desert Ironwood Burl, always a surprise what's inside and very rich colors. (and I have gotten used to the smell)

favorite to turn is Ivory....simply nothing compares to the smoothness and character.

turn most...acrylics...'cause they sell.

Pete275

Several favorites, Bethelehem Olive wood, Cocobolo, Ironwood. Spalted woods, hard to pick one as they all have their own suprises.

Wayne

omb76

Although wood is not my favorite thing to turn, I like Amboyna, Olivewood, and Lignum all because they smell good when you turn them. :biggrin:

My favorite material to turn is Tru-Stone. I like the high end look it has. Acrylics are fun as you can experiment with painting the inside of the blanks different colors to get different effects. They also have a nice bling factor. :)

Padre

I like all the woods that don't make me break out in a poison-ivy like rash! :biggrin:

spnemo

Domestic - Pin Cherry because it is easy to turn and looks beautiful (and I have 3 acres filled with the stuff).

Exotic/imported - Either Olive wood or amboyna burl.

ctubbs

Eastern/ Southern Red Cedar because of the wonderful aroma. With sap and heart wood in the same blank, the contrast is gorgeous but you must use sharp tools due to the contrast in density. The white part is soft and tares out easily.
PR because of the Bling factor.
Charles

ldb2000

BOW and HRB are my favorite woods to turn , mainly because of the beautiful grain patterns and Tru-stone and Inlace Acrylester are my favorite alternatives . Tru-stone because of the look and feel of them when they are polished and the inlace because of the glass like shine when they are polished .

Last edited:
Top Bottom