JR Tube question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I am curious about the JR CSUSA tubes. Obviously, the JR Gent II tubes work the same in all the other CSUSA jr kits..jr statesman, jr retro, etc.

But then there is Berea Jr Kits. I see the tubes from CSUSA are identical to the Jr triton kit, although there is one exception...the pen tube is slightly shorter. So a JR Gent II tube can be used with a JR Triton Kit and the only modification you need is to remove the triton spring and replace it with a slightly longer one.

So what about the Jr Majestic? How do the PSI Jr tubes compare? Are they the same ID/OD ? Are the lengths different than the Jr Gent II ? I have never made a Jr Majestic. The only comparison I know between the two kits is that replacement Jr Majestic tubes cost 3 times more money!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

I just got some spare Majestic Jr. tubes the other day. After it get daylight, I'll go measure them if you want. They were only $1.75 for 2 sets. Thats only the tubes tho.

randywa

I just checked and the top is .475 I.D,.480 O.D. Bottom is .380 and .400. I also checked the bushing and tube chart and they seem to be the same. Not swearing to anything tho.

Jeff, I don't have a Jr. Majestic kit on hand but the "instructions quote:

Long Tube: 2-1/32" long
Short Tube: 1-7/8" long

The tube length of the Jr Gent/Statesman/Marshall is 2.089" and 1.894" respectively. Both a little longer so just sand a little off to fit, assuming same diameters to fit kit parts.

workinforwood

Ok...just off memory in dealing with so many JR tubes for Gents..I know the short tube is 1 7/8 and the long tube is 2 1/8 or close enough. A 1/32 won't make any difference, worse comes to worse it sounds like if you used JR tubes for a Jr Majestic then you possibly but unlikely will just need a slightly longer spring, or glue a little piece of credit card to the existing spring. This is good to know. It's pretty nifty that all three manufacturers have the same tubes..even with the lower tube lengths being just slightly different. I like that.

Last edited:
This is good to know. It's pretty nifty that all three manufacturers have the same tubes..even with the lower tube lengths being just slightly different. I like that.

As long as you remember that the Jr. Majestic and Triton are the short ones. It's hard to mill them longer.

ctubbs

As long as you remember that the Jr. Majestic and Triton are the short ones. It's hard to mill them longer.[/quote]

I've tried and tried. I've cut it off three times and it is still too dang short!:redface::eek:
Charles

workinforwood

As long as you remember that the Jr. Majestic and Triton are the short ones. It's hard to mill them longer.

I've tried and tried. I've cut it off three times and it is still too dang short!:redface::eek:
Charles[/quote]

Ah...but it's all a matter of perception. I say you can mill them longer to accept the JR Gent tubes... For the PSI Kit, you simply take a credit card and cut a little circle and glue it on to the spring in the end of the pen. Now the kit is longer. For the Triton, you do the same thing but you need something about 3/16 thick..so you just find a dowel that fits a little loose into the finial and part it to length and glue that inside. Simple ways to lengthen the kit rather than mess with the tube lengths, and no need to find new springs. I was curious all along, because I am in the middle of doing some more tube castings and was wondering about other options that users have for the tubes beyond just the CSUSA kits. You do not want to barrel trim my cast tubes to be a bit shorter, but you can lengthen the inside of the kits a touch and that is easy enough. I don't use all these kits like some people, so I'm less familiar with them...but still am required to know the options out there, it's a sales related question really.:biggrin:

Top Bottom