Jr. Statesman tube size problems?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetalbott4

When I drilled my lower tubes for the Jr. Statesman II kits, the 27/64 hole was way too big. I tried a 13/32 and it works much better. Thought maybe I had the wrong tubes so I ordered new ones and got the same results. Anyone else have this issue?

I ordered a 27/64 barrel trimmer shaft from CSUSA for the Jr. Statesman II kits lower barrel and the shaft is slightly too big to fit in tube. Tried the new tubes I got and have the same result. What gives? Anyone else have this happen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Roy,
Do the kit parts fit in the tubes properly or will the tubes be too small?

thetalbott4

Parts fit ok, thats whats bugging me. I figure someone else that has recently ordered Jr. Statesman II kits must have the same issue.

thetalbott4

Scott, the 27/64 is the outside diameter of the tube, you will need a smaller dia. one to fit inside.

They are all listed that way. If you want a pilot shaft for a 7mm tube, you buy a 7mm shaft. If you want a pilot shaft for a 25/64 tube you buy a 25/64 shaft. So, thats not it either.

davidrei

I'm in the process of making my first Jr. Statesman II pen. Thanks to your heads up, I measured the drill bit & tubes and found the same problem. I also used a 13/32 bit instead of the 27/64, and it worked great. Thanks for catching this, saved me from ruining a rather expensive Red Morrel burl blank.

davidrei

...oh, and for the barrel trimmer, I took a couple of spare 7mm tubes and glued them in some scrap oak, put it on a mandrel & turned it to just fit inside the Jr. Statesman tubes. Using them as adapters, I was able to use my regular 7mm pen mill in the Jr. Statesman blanks.

rustym

As to the pen mill, that is how I do all my tubes. Just bought the 7mm pen mill and make adapters to fit each different diameter tube. Works great.

Rusty

nilsatcraft

Roy- I just grabbed the parts in question and found that they had the same problem that you described. Apparently the 27/64" barrel trimmers were originally designed for the Toothpick Holders that also use a 27/64" drill but have a slightly larger inside diameter on the tubes. While we figure out the best way to correct this, I'll ask our webmaster to make a note on the web that the shaft isn't compatible with the pens. I'll also make sure that anyone who orders this shaft by phone, fax or mail is notified of this. In the mean time, I'll e-mail you to discuss getting your barrel trimmer situation straightened out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom