Jr Statesman problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

:( I just assembled a Jr. Statesman and when I went to screw the cap on the threads didn't come close to matching. The cap just slid over the bottom and the threads didn't engage. I've never had this problem:( and I'm not happy. It's getting bad when you have to do a dry fit before assembling a pen.

I just checked out all of my Jr. Statesman kits and I have three kits that all have bad centerband threads. I was hoping this was just a one time thing but I guess that any of you that have these should check yours also.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deere41h

Wayne....I just pulled one out to see if it was a universal problem. Mine seems to be fine. There is no way we should have to dry fit everything to be sure they fit....Not at the price of these kits. I feel your pain. Can you tell if it is a coupler problem or a nib holder/tip problem?

Gary

I've made about 50 of the Jr. Statesman and never had that problem. But Jr. Gents are another matter...I've had so many thread problems with them that I've quit making them.

wayneis

I just took it apart and its the centerband threads that are to large. I took the nib and screwed it into another centerband and it was fine. It's to late now but I'll have to check out all of them tomorrow. This centerband is threaded out so that the nib just drops right through the threads. I'm so mad that I could just spit because on top of it taking it apart I smashed my hand with the mallet. I'm p.....

Wayne

PenWorks

Bad threads, spitting , mashing.....
I'm glad not to be around you tonight [:D]
Carma finally got you on those threads [:)]
It is definately a quality control problem with the manufacturer
they really never figured out. Sorry about the problem, join the crowd. [:D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Wayne, I had that problem on Jr Gents.. and I have not yet gotten to match them all.. I might do that this afternoon. But I emailed Nils about it and he states that they have the problem fixed, personally I don't think so...
BillB used to recommend that you never take all the Jr Gent kits out of the bag and mix the centerbands and nib threads because they would not match later... YUP.. finding that out...
This is one of the reasons I prefer the Baron to the JR Gent... and you can use the non posting back of a Jr Gent on a Baron with no modification... unfortunately you are limited to platinum or TN Gold...
I have had Jr Gent centerbands go from your problem to almost too tight to screw on... it is a problem that definately needs to be corrected.... BUT I will say that if you call CSU, they will send you replacement centerbands for the ones that don't work ASAP for nothing.. the customer service is fantastic...

wayneis

Tom it wouldn't suprise me if it were the Jr. Gent but this is the Jr. Statesman so there shouldn't be these problems. This is one of the most expensive kits out there. I always leave all the together in the little baggies untill I'm ready to assemble a pen then I grab a bag and go for it.

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that when you are trying to get the clip/cap off you need a different tool because that little fancy engraved piece in the top of the cap is held on with a rivit and it will pop off.

I do know that Craft supply will send replacement parts but it's just frustrating when you think that you have a pen all ready to go out the door and its a bust. I do a lot of the Barons but my favorite is still the Statesman line because they are so fancy. I've done a ton of them and this is the first real problem so I do hope that it is a one time thing.

Oh well I've vented enough, just remember to dry fit parts before assembly from now on.

Wayne

wayneis

Check out your Jr. Statesman Rhodium with Black Titanium kits because after checking out the rest of my kits I have three kits with bad centerband threads.[:(]

Wayne

Daniel

I was just checking out one of my kits. the threads all seem to be fine. but there is a part in my bag that the instructions do not show. no idea where it goes when I do try and assemble this one. I seem to remember conversations recently about this or at least some pen. any pointers?
Thanks.
by the way this is a solid silver metal "Plug" with threads at one end. right now it is threaded into the center band coupler. but the cap would not be able to thread on with it there.

Gary

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />I was just checking out one of my kits. the threads all seem to be fine. but there is a part in my bag that the instructions do not show. no idea where it goes when I do try and assemble this one. I seem to remember conversations recently about this or at least some pen. any pointers?
Thanks.
by the way this is a solid silver metal "Plug" with threads at one end. right now it is threaded into the center band coupler. but the cap would not be able to thread on with it there.

Daniel, that part is a throw-away. I think it's there to protect the coupler while you press it in place. Once the coupler is installed just toss the little plated plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom