Jr George and Cardiff - the same ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Are the Jr George and Cardiff the same?

Thank you.

I have not used the Cardiff kit.

Not sure of the tube length's, but for bushings: From websites.

Jr George: .480/.512 .567/.567

Cardiff: .494/.519 .571/.571

TonyL

Thank you. If you look. the them they look the same. And the price is a about a 1/3 less. But "close" is not the same as "the same".

Thanks again!

VotTak

I only found that penkit on Canadian website, from which I cannot even order as they do not ship outside of Canada. Did you see that kit somewhere else?

TonyL

Yes...that's the only place that I have seen it. At that price with the strength of the dollar..even with shipping it's a good deal assuming it's Jr George quality. I know he don't ship to US..that is why I was interested.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Yes...that's the only place that I have seen it. At that price with the strength of the dollar..even with shipping it's a good deal assuming it's Jr George quality. I know he don't ship to US..that is why I was interested.

Given that they have a special set of bushings for this kit with specs that are different from their regular "Jr Gent" series of bushings, I would presume that the body size of this kit is different from the Jr. George, even though they look alike. Possibly it's a knock off of the Jr. George (Rhizeng perhaps?), but that's just a guess.

You might send them an email asking these questions and also ask them if there are any other suppliers carrying that same kit, perhaps under a different name. I have found that they are usually quite good about responding to emails, even from us US based folks.

jondavidj

Hey Tony,

I just looked at the site and it looks like the Cardiff is the Jr George with a different name for marketing purposes. It looks like he made a Dayacom order because the Professor kits was in the upper corner and they are new. I know that Rizeng doesn't do a knock off version of that kit, and the other company I know didn't produce that. It looks like the threading is the same as the George from Dayacom. Hope that helps!

JD

TonyL

I wrote him early this morning about the pen. I don't see how it can the same pen for under $10 US (without shipping). We will see what he says about the similarities at least in appearance.

wood-of-1kind

Food for thought.

Perhaps the Jr. George is or has been "overpriced" and this Canuck supplier is content to reap a smaller profit (mark up). Purely speculation on my part and I DO NOT have any insight info with this vendor.

edstreet

Food for thought. Perhaps the Jr. George is or has been "overpriced" and this Canuck supplier is content to reap a smaller profit (mark up). Purely speculation on my part and I DO NOT have any insight info with this vendor.

I do have knowledge on this subject. Knowing the price on the George I can say they are not over priced.

I can also say, TonyL, the answer to your question is no they are not the same nor is this kit made by Dayacom as they are missing Dayacom's signature markings and tool marks. They are made by someone else and I am not going to get into trademark/patent infringement issues on this topic.

edstreet

Are the Jr George and Cardiff the same?

Thank you.

Lets evaluate this question with details. I will not add opinion but show fact and you can make up your own mind.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notes:

On the platting one is very sloppy from the acid bath and how the cleanup is non-existent. The Dayacom is clearly the higher quality item without any doubt.

The inside of the clip we can always see tooling marks. This is often a good thing as we can evaluate who made it, how it was made and the quality of the manufacturing.

Inside the cap is another area that manufacturing attention to details really shines. Lower quality products will fail in this area. Higher quality products will be cleaned up, attention paid to the fine areas.

Threading. This is a study in and of itself. A close look at threading we see the end of the threads cleanly stopping on the Dayacom product while they keep going on the clone. The threading is also not even on the clone, which means there is a timing issue on the equipment. This could be due to dirty equipment, broken/worn out equipment or the like.

Lets look at 'fit and finish'. The clip does not cleanly fit on the cap due to the residue. Cross compatibility of the nib and end finial (meaning take a Dayacom nib and screw into the clone) is the same threading. However due to the plating method used on the antique 'silver' (technically it's a very very thick chrome plating with an acid bath) the threading is not compatible. On the Dayacom threading it's very clean and crisp. The clone threading is gritty and sloppy.

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpg
    IMG_8581.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_8582.jpg
    IMG_8582.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8586.jpg
    IMG_8586.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_8587.jpg
    IMG_8587.jpg