Jr. Gentleman II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

heineda

Hello,

I have just started turning the Jr. Gentleman's kit, and finished the second one last night. I turn the wood right down to the busings, sand 100 thru 1500 grit, ..... My problem is that when I put the pen together, everything fits perfect except the smooth end piece. The wood is about 1mm larger than the smooth end cap. It has happened on both pens, and I'm starting to think the bushings from craft supply are not the right size on that end. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a solution? If you have a solution for this, please post it here, so I don't ruin any more of these really nice kits.

Do you think this pen is to large to carry in your pocket on a daily basis? It seems pretty big to me, especially when compared to the Baron or Sedona kits.

Thanks for your help, as always,
Dan Heine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Big???? Are you talking about a Jr. Gent or a full size Gent? There is really very little difference in size between a Jr. Gent/Statesman and a Baron and I use a Baron FP as my daily writer. I haven't made the Jr. Gent with the smooth endcap, only Jr. Statesman and have not had the problem you mention. Did you use calipers to measure the endcap and the endcap bushing? You might have a bad bushing. Does the nib coupler fit properly? The first Jr. Gent I made, version 1, I got the two bushings reversed.

Malainse

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Big???? The first Jr. Gent I made, version 1, I got the two bushings reversed.

Been there and done that.... Sounds like the issue here also...

Because of the trim ring on the nib end you would not noticed that end is smaller then should be. But on the cap end if that is off it will show....

The Two large bushings are for the cap...(.567)

Of the Two smaller bushings the Large one is for the Nib (.512)and and small one is for the end cap .480....

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/pdf/jr_gentlemens_statesman2.pdf

Jerryconn

On all of my pens I have started using a set of calipers, measure the components and turn my blanks to that dimension and allow a little for the finish. I don't rely on the bushing as being accurate.

clewless

Sounds like you got the blank reversed when you assembled it. It's easy to miss the fact that the bushings are different sizes. DAHIKT[xx(]

Use your transfer punches to knock out the threads and reverse it.

heineda

AHAAA,

I thought the two large busings were identical, and the two small bushings were also identical. Hard to discern a difference of .032 by eye, I guess. I think I need to invest in a digital micrometer. I don't know how to use a traditioanl one, so digital will be the way to go.

As always, thank you for your generous sharing of knowledge. I was a wood carver before I started turning, and it has been an amazing experience in both worlds to experience the qualities of the people involved. Always ready to help, share knowledge, and offer advice.

Thank You,
Dan Heine

gerryr

If there's a Harbor Freight near where you live, you can get a 6' dial caliper for about $10, well worth the money and you never ever have to replace a battery.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by heineda
<br />AHAAA,

I thought the two large busings were identical, and the two small bushings were also identical. Hard to discern a difference of .032 by eye, I guess. I think I need to invest in a digital micrometer. I don't know how to use a traditioanl one, so digital will be the way to go.

As always, thank you for your generous sharing of knowledge. I was a wood carver before I started turning, and it has been an amazing experience in both worlds to experience the qualities of the people involved. Always ready to help, share knowledge, and offer advice.

Thank You,
Dan Heine

Dan, yer not the first. I heard about another feller who did that once. [:I][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom