Jr. Gent vs. Gent?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Does the Gentleman's Pen have black plastic threads? (Well I know they're black, but plastic?) If so, why would I spend more to get a lesser product? The 3/16" difference isn't worth that is it? Just get the Jr. Gent with all Rhodium parts. Or am I just completely wrong on the plastic part? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
The threads in the full size Gent are black but they are metal not plastic. I just pulled a half dozen kits out and checked them all. The size difference is actually a big thing for some of us, I have large hands and find the Gent and the Statesman to be a lot more comfortable to write with. The Statesman has all Rhodium threads if that is what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Wheaties

That's what I needed to know. Thanks! I haven't worked with a Gentleman yet. I am looking for something nice to make to commemorate the upcoming birth of my first son/child.

aggromere

I make a lot of Jr gents and gents. In your hand the Gent is much bigger than the jr. It is on the order of an emperor, majestic, imperial and lotus. Since the cap is non postable the black threads only show when the cap is off. I use the Rhodium kits. They are understated and lend themselves to segmented and decorative blanks. (as does the jr).

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
For an occasion like that, I would probably go with an Emporer, I know it costs double but it is only once in your life that this happens. Besides, it's nothing compared to what a kid costs over the time until they move out.:biggrin: Either way, congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Wheaties

For an occasion like that, I would probably go with an Emporer, I know it costs double but it is only once in your life that this happens. Besides, it's nothing compared to what a kid costs over the time until they move out.:biggrin: Either way, congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Yeah, maybe I'm just still too "new", but those kits just seem too over the top. IMO. I am just starting to warm up to the Statesman.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Yeah, maybe I'm just still too "new", but those kits just seem too over the top. IMO. I am just starting to warm up to the Statesman.
I wasn't aware you were new to this and can understand your apprehension about making one of the high end kits. Paying that kind of money for a kit and not being comfortable making it seems a bit silly. The Gent is one of my favorite kits and it definitely makes a statement when used. If you need a hand, please feel free to contact me and I will do what I can.

Wheaties

I wasn't aware you were new to this and can understand your apprehension about making one of the high end kits. Paying that kind of money for a kit and not being comfortable making it seems a bit silly. The Gent is one of my favorite kits and it definitely makes a statement when used. If you need a hand, please feel free to contact me and I will do what I can.

I appreciate that Neil. It's not so much the money (although that doesn't help), they just seem like they have to much "bling", for lack of a better word. Like the person who can't stop with yard decorations, you know? Just too much.

tim self

I was probably turning about 8 months and a couple hundred pens before I bit the bullet and bought a Statesman. It is well worth it. A wonderful kit and no different in turning or assy to the Jr. I also thought, I can get 2 Jr's for the price. Go for it. You won't regret it.

DurocShark

If you want to try a larger pen to write with without breaking the bank, check out the El Grande. Lots of cheap plastic, but makes for. A good user pen to decide if you like the "girth". I have made a few now and they sell surprisingly well.

Rifleman1776

I make, and like, both the Jr. Gent and full sized Gent. But, they are two different pens that suit different purposes.
The full-sized is, IMHO, not really a 'carry' pen. I make them for desk pens and as one client said it a "power pen". She is an executive and carries hers into the conference room and it is a real attention getter.
Other execs keep theirs on their desk, again as a status thing.
OTOH, I do carry mine on occasion. It is awkward but it is my best salesman. Folks see it, do the 'Oooh, Aaah' thing then, often, place orders for other styles.

GPDMTR25

I'll also throw my 2 cents in.....

I sell a lot of pens to women and they love the Jr. Statesman. I actually sell a lot more Statesman and Jr. Statesman than Gent kits. I don't sell at crafts fair thou, I sell to people that have more money than they know what to do with so it's important to focus on the person the pen is going to. Also I sell more Barons than Jr. Gents. I also sell to older people and they seem to like a thicker pen but one that isn't too heavy.
This is just my experience.
Angela

jyreene

Have you thought of checking out the Majestic (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMAJFREE.html you get the kit and the bearings and such when it's in stock). My wife and I bought a few to see if we like them and with the right wood they are spot on. I thought of doing something similar for my upcoming newborn (congratulations by the way!) but I decided to go way out of my realm and build a rocking horse.

Top Bottom