Jr. Gent threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

08K.80

Has anyone had issues with the threads on Jr. Gents Kits from Woodturner's? We have some that won't thread together. We tried parts from different bags and none thread together.

Thank you for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RickLong

Have not had a problem with the Jr. Gent II.. Craft Supply has good support and will replace any items that are defective.

What two parts will not thread together? The center band to which end of the body is causing problems? I mostly make the B/T Jr. Gent II. What plating of the Jr. Gent II are you using?

I know I have at least one of each in my shop. If I know this info, I can double check mine and let you know if I have any issues......

Rick

08K.80

Ours say Apprentice Jr. Gent. Is there a difference?

The cap won't thread onto either end. It starts to but, just stops.
We cleaned the black paint off the threads and it still doesn't work properly. Now there is brass showing on the threads and it looks terrible.

We contacted them and they want us to sent the kits to them. The biggest problem with that is, I have finished some of them before discovering this issue. Also, we didn't buy the kits from them.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

We cleaned the black paint off the threads and it still doesn't work properly. Now there is brass showing on the threads and it looks terrible.

We contacted them and they want us to sent the kits to them. The biggest problem with that is, I have finished some of them before discovering this issue. Also, we didn't buy the kits from them.
Your problem might be with the plastic insert in the centerband...they are glued in and sometimes a small amount of glue gets on the threads, It can usually be cleared with an exacto knife. If they still have a metal threaded insert in the center band they are old kits and you might what to replace them with plastic...someone can probably tell you how to go about that.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Yes there is a difference and parts are not interchangeable.

08K.80

I checked the threads on all three pieces and they are clean of debris. I even tried to put them together again, to no avail.

I even asked them at CSUSA what the threads are, hoping to be able to have someone fix them but, they said that getting the tool is impossible because they are triple start (Whatever that means) and are made in a mold.

I tried contacting the person I got them from, a couple times, and haven't received a response. Maybe they knew the kits were bad?

Can I get new threaded pieces somewhere or just throw these out?

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I checked the threads on all three pieces and they are clean of debris. I even tried to put them together again, to no avail.

I even asked them at CSUSA what the threads are, hoping to be able to have someone fix them but, they said that getting the tool is impossible because they are triple start (Whatever that means) and are made in a mold.

I tried contacting the person I got them from, a couple times, and haven't received a response. Maybe they knew the kits were bad?

Can I get new threaded pieces somewhere or just throw these out?

You can get the plastic thread inserts if then are plastic. Some are metal and I doubt you can get them. What finish are they?

08K.80

CSUSA is a great group and I just know they will help you out if you contact them.

I did and they wanted me to send the kits to them but, I've already finished some of them. I should have known better, the guy (off Ebay) gave us a good deal, or so I thought.

JD Combs Sr

Can't address your problem directly but, yes there is a difference if by difference you mean CSUSA Apprentice line versus their Artisan line. The Apprentice line is their cheaper(probably Chinese made) pens. The Artisan is their high quality line of pens. You can find the same style(and name) pen in both lines but in the with Apprentice line you have lighter plating, less attention to fit and finish, possible some plastic parts where Artisan is metal etc. I suspect your problem is cheap components. Others may disagree but... just saying.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Can't address your problem directly but, yes there is a difference if by difference you mean CSUSA Apprentice line versus their Artisan line. The Apprentice line is their cheaper(probably Chinese made) pens. The Artisan is their high quality line of pens. You can find the same style(and name) pen in both lines but in the with Apprentice line you have lighter plating, less attention to fit and finish, possible some plastic parts where Artisan is metal etc. I suspect your problem is cheap components. Others may disagree but... just saying.
CSUSA does not offer a comparable kit to the Apprentice Jr Gent in their Artisian line they offer the Jr Gent II in the Artisian line and it is not an upgraded version of the Apprentice Jr Gent Kit.

JD Combs Sr

CSUSA does not offer a comparable kit to the Apprentice Jr Gent in their Artisian line they offer the Jr Gent II in the Artisian line and it is not an upgraded version of the Apprentice Jr Gent Kit.
Thanks Smitty, I should have been a little clearer, you are absolutely right, not all pen styles are duplicated within the two lines, Slimlines and Cigar styles are examples that are, I didn't check to see if the subject pen was duplicated, however my point still stands, the Apprentice line is CSUSA's less expensive line and is therefore subject to not quite as good plating and fit and finish.

Dale Allen

Some of this threading is common among other kits/lines/vendors.
For instance, the Baron threads are an exact match to the Apprentice Jr Gent.
I suspect the Artisan Jr Gent II is also the same but I have not made one to be sure. The drill sizes are slightly larger so it may not match.
I have bought some of the internal plastic parts.
They are brittle and I broke 2 or 3 of them while experimenting. I have 3 left and I just noticed that one of them has a chip out of the edge. They are made in china and are either very very old or are poorly made with too brittle of material.
If you are careful, you can remove the plastic part of the centerband and replace it with one of these inserts. That's what I did and it worked fine.
In my case I damaged the threads by pushing too hard.
That being said, the Jr Gent Apprentice kit from CSUSA has a price of $5.99.
By the time you paid postage to get the band you may as well order another kit with some more supplies and almost break even.

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I certainly do not dissagree. Have never bought an "Apprentice" and never will. The Artisan is not that much more expensive. It may even be less expensive if you have to throw away too many blanks!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Quote:

For instance, the Baron threads are an exact match to the Apprentice Jr Gent.
I suspect the Artisan Jr Gent II is also the same but I have not made one to be sure. The drill sizes are slightly larger so it may not match.

Close, but not quite!! I tried using the "front sections" interchangeably and they seemed to fit. Then, at a show, when I unscrewed the cap, the nib came with it. This was not a "one-time occurrence", it happened with several.

I decided the Artisan Jr. Gent and the Baron were NOT interchangeable.

FWIW
(newly defined as "forgot where I was"--oldpeople's memory)
Ed

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Thanks Smitty, I should have been a little clearer, you are absolutely right, not all pen styles are duplicated within the two lines, Slimlines and Cigar styles are examples that are, I didn't check to see if the subject pen was duplicated, however my point still stands, the Apprentice line is CSUSA's less expensive line and is therefore subject to not quite as good plating and fit and finish.
That is a discussion for a different thread...but, trust me, what you say there is not entirely true.

Top Bottom