Jr. Gent Thread Issue - Resolved?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simplex

Awhile back there was some conversation about the poor quality of threads on the CSUSA Jr. Gents. Apparently, the cap would not twist on to the pen properly. Does anyone know if CSUSA has resolved this issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimMc7

IIRC, thread type was changed on the JG-II some time ago (sorry, I don't recall when). I have had problems when using pen coupler threads from one JG-II kit with the plastic cap thread insert from a different JG-II kit. I have never had a problem when I've used pieces from a single kit.

PenPauli

I had the same problem, I made nice pens but don't want to sell them due to the poor threads, I still have a few unused kits from back then, but that had to be probably about 4 years ago.

Texatdurango

One conversation was about the caps easily unthreading in ones pocket. The manufacturer redesigned the threads coming out with "square threads" as a solution.

In my opinion, the caps using the square threads will unscrew just as easy as the old threads so the problem was never really fixed.

One customer liked to clip his pen onto the center of his shirt between the buttons. He called one day asking if I could fix the threads since the bottom half of the pen unscrewed and luckily he had the section on the inside of his shirt and it came rolling out across the restroom floor when he was taking care of business!

I like the Jr Gent and Jr Statesman pens but will not order anymore because of the easy cap unthreading issue.

PenMan1

In a word, NO!
I quit selling the TN Jr Gents because of the horrid cap threads. This happened at about the same time the name changed to "Artisan Jr Gent II"

I just got a custom order for 20 JRs that I couldn't upgrade the customer to the Triton or change them to the Rhodium Jr. So, I got 50 Jrs yesterday (12/11/2010) and at least the first 25 I've checked all have "thread boogers" and have to be "persuaded" to open and close.

The Jr TN is still a P.O.S.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How to fix a problem!!!

Yes, I've just moved on to Tritons rather than mess around with the gent II's.

Chris,

I believe this single statement will have more impact on resolving the threading issue than anything else that we can say. The Junior series has been exceptionally well received and earned great loyalty among pen makers. IF CSUSA and their suppliers read "I switched to the Triton" a few times, I predict they will FIX their problem!!!

Good job!!!!!

Bill Sampson

Like many of of you, I have experienced some problems with the Jr Gent, but nothing major. However, my first Triton was no different. Ruined a very expensive shirt when it came apart in my pocket.
When I give these pens now, I put them in a draw string pouch and ask the recipient to carry it there for protection. Maybe a little inconvenient, but might save a friendship.
Is there a perfect pen kit? Probably not.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Top Bottom