Jr. Gent squaring?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandking

What do you folks use to square a Jr. Gent? I am going to glue a 7mm tube, turn a 3/4" dowel down to fit inside the tubes and use my regular mill. Just wondering what everyone else does?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Make a set of slimline blanks and turn them down to the inside diameter of the the Jr. Gent tubes. What I do is put one blank at a time on the mandral with a spare slimline blank tube. This blank tube will allow you to put the Jr. Gent tube on (just a loose fit) so you can keep testing the fit. Do your final fitting with sandpaper. I would use Corian if you have some.
I know some just drill a 1/4" hole for the mill, I just think in time it will wear and be loose. Slimline tubes are dirt cheap and worth it to have some kicking around. I also make my Corian bushings the same way. Tube them with a slimline and turn them down.

sandking

I really sorry, but I don't know if I understand. I have the bushings for the Jr. Gents, I was referring to how do others square the blank to the tube before turning. I think you are describing the process I wrote, but I'm not completely sure.

KC

I put the glued up blanks on the lathe and turn them round AND straight across, then take them off and sqaure the ends with a very light touch on the disc sander. Got to be a better way, but this will work.

KC

jeffj13

sandking,

I believe that what you do and what Firefyter described are the same thing. The only difference is that he is gluing the tube inside a pen blank, you are gluing it inside a dowel(not there is any real difference between the two).

jeff

airrat

Yeah they are making an insert to fit inside the Jr. Gents tube. I did this for my Gents, Emperors and any other kit I didn't already have the barrel trimmer for. Why I didnt make it out of corian I dont know. I will next time.

Firefyter-emt

See if this helps. I make these sleeves that have a slimline tube glued inside them. I just feel they will last longer with brass for the bit to ride in than the bare Corian or wood.

To expand, I put one "sleeve" blank on the lathe with a bare brass tube next to it. This gives me a place to put the larger tube I am making the kit for so that I can test fit. NEVER test fit with the lathe running! I use calipers to get it oh so close and then sandpaper to finish it out by test fit. Once they are done one, you never have to do it again. BTW, the maple are the softest ones I have. They can slip & spin a bit when you use them, so I would use the hardest wood you have. Don't forget that some kits like the Americana and the Cigar will use the same sleeve.

1211065.jpg

sandking

Thanks everyone. I ended up making the sleeves the same way you do, the only difference is I used a 3/4" dowel with the 7mm tube glued inside.

The problems I had were that I used wax to close up the tubes and had a heck of a time getting it out. I know the sleeves I made were tight, but I think there was still some wax in there.

How do you all get the wax out?

LanceD

The problems I had were that I used wax to close up the tubes and had a heck of a time getting it out. I know the sleeves I made were tight, but I think there was still some wax in there.

How do you all get the wax out?

Go to a sporting goods store and buy several different sizes of gun cleaning brushes. Spray a little DNA in the tube and run the brush back and forth on both ends of the tubes.

sandking

Cool, the DNA breaks down the wax? I kept having issues getting the wax to be flush with the bottom of the tube so I took a lighter and melted it so no glue would get out. Thought I was slick and then realized how much of a pain the wax is to get out. Maybe the using a potato is easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom