Jr Gent Rollerball equivalent from other suppliers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MyKidsDad

My son won a Jr. Gent Rollerball pen kit as part of a contest and I need to get bushings for it. Is there an equivalent pen kit that either AS or WoodNWhimsies has that I could order the bushings from them? I want to order some Norseman drill bits from AS and I won a gift certificate from WoodNWhimsies so already have orders planned at both places. I really don't want to order from a third supplier and have to pay a third shipping charge just to get a set of bushings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

There is no one other than CSUSA that has the bushings,unless your turning center to center than our own JonnyCNC makes custom bushings. Sorry!

reddwil

I was just getting ready to post this link to Rockler and ask if this is the same pen kit and bushings for the CSUSA Jr. Gentelmen's II kit.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19559

If so, I will be near the local Rockler store later this week and will just pick them up there.

Somebody correct me if I wrong, but the drill bit sizes listed at rockler for the Jr. Gent II, arn't these for the old style Jr Gents.

davinci27

Yep Rockler does ist different size drill bits for their kits, but they are still the same kit. Rockler lists imperical size drill bits while CSUSA lists metric sizes. I'll go one further and say if you use teh sizes listed by rockler, you will end up with a very tight fit on one of the tubes.

I know that I've bought Jr's from both rockler and CSUSA and I only have one set of bushings. I ignore what bits kit sellers recommend for each kit. Instead, I pull out the calipers measure the tubes and pick the bit that I think will give the best fit.

Ben

bitshird

Somebody correct me if I wrong, but the drill bit sizes listed at rockler for the Jr. Gent II, arn't these for the old style Jr Gents.

Something doesn't add up a 12.5 mm cap size drill=.49125 and the 31/64 rockler cap size =.484375, that's going to be a real tight fit like nearly .008 smaller

davinci27

Something doesn't add up a 12.5 mm cap size drill=.49125 and the 31/64 rockler cap size =.484375, that's going to be a real tight fit like nearly .008 smaller

Yep as I said, If you use the rockler drill sizes you will end up with a very tight fit.

The first 2 Jr gent kit I bought were from rockler. I bought the kits, bushings and drill bits all at the same time. It was a real tight fit on the cap. All the other Jr Gent kits I've purchased have been from CSUSA. I haven't bought a second set of bushings, I'm still using the set from Rockler. All I can say is this is my experience with the rockler kits and bushings. yours might vary.

Ben

Last edited:

timberview4

I made my first Jr. Gent II the other day that I bought at my local Rockler (that I just found out is closing) and drilled the cap with the 31/64" bit. The brass tube would barely go in. I do not have a 12.5mm bit (yet) so I put the drilled blank in back in my Barracuda 2 chuck and sanded the ID of the hole until the brass tube fit in nicely. Looks like I will need to expand my drill bit range.

davinci27

On of the best things I've done, IMHO, was purchase an inexpensive set of drill bits and a digital caliper. it was cheaper than buying individual bits for each kit, and it's allowed me to get a much better fit between my blanks and my tubes.

Top Bottom