Jr Gent from Rizheng, bad quality ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eddie123

Hi people.

I have had a bad experience with a couple of kits I bought from Rizheng, namely the Jr Gent II kits they are selling.

The problem is, that when assembled, the metal front of the pen, get scratched when it is inserted and taken out of the cap. The marks are circular, so they do come when I turn the cap on or off.

Anyone xperienced this, is the Rizheng kits generally bad, or is this just a bad batch ?

Thank you

Eddie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

It is most likely just a bad batch . Several of the rollerball and fountain pens have had this problem from time to time . It is most likely from the threaded insert rubbling against the section when it is threaded in to the cap .
If you can figure out the correct wording in the search feature you will find this problem with the Majestic , Gent , Statesman and Retro series of pens , both Jr and full size .
The solution has been to trim some of the plastic from the inside top of the threaded insert before you insert it into the cap .

Last edited:

its_virgil

Hi people.
I have had a bad experience with a couple of kits I bought from Rizheng, namely the Jr Gent II kits they are selling.
Join the club. I'm not a member of this one.:biggrin:

Anyone xperienced this, is the Rizheng kits generally bad, or is this just a bad batch ?
Several have; yes; yes

Search the site for Rizheng and you will find what several of us think of these kits. Sorry you had this experience. Sometimes saving a little money is just not worth it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Rizheng is known for cheap prices and poor quality, some time back though I remember some posts about the Jr. series from CSUSA that were showing light scratches on the nibs from the cap screwing on and off. I've made 100's and have never had that problem but some have.

DurocShark

My gold plated Jr Gent (II) from Rockler does that. Irritated the crap outta me to the point where I pulled them ... Not offering them for sale. They're still in a box. Never thought to look for a fix. Might be time to pull them back out!

Eddie123

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, maybe taking a bit of the thread off will help, I will try that.

I really like the jr Gent kits, they are easy to turn, and look good with the right wood/material.

Maybe go bak to the baron II, they seems better, but are also more expensive.

Eddie

Gary Max

Heck we call folks like that Dumpster drivers-----they buy up all the seconds and overstocks they can find------guess who they sell to?????????

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rizheng Quality

Rizheng is known for cheap prices and poor quality, some time back though I remember some posts about the Jr. series from CSUSA that were showing light scratches on the nibs from the cap screwing on and off. I've made 100's and have never had that problem but some have.

Well I sell about 30,000 Rizheng kits a year (mostly on eBay) and get far more feedback comments commending the quality than knocking it. I wouldn't sell them otherwise because I have an unconditional return policy and if I got them back I wouldn't make any money at all. I also couldn't live with a lot of bad feedback on eBay...I don't think there is anyone who buys moderately priced pen kits who has not had some issues from time to time.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rizheng supplies others

One thing you can bet on----You will never see Roy or me knowingly buy kits from Rizheng.

It's good that you said "knowingly" because, while I won't say who they are, Dayacom and Rizheng have both told me that Rizheng is supplying at least two of the bigger name sellers with at least some of their kits.

beck3906

Hmmmmm....
CSUSA's Apprentice line and PSI's Funline I would guess?

Low cost and entry level for those times you need a cheap kit to offer a low-end sales item.

wood-of-1kind

If you can manage EXPECTATIONS, then the Rizheng 'quality' and 'plating' are a non issue based on the price that the consumer is willing to pay. As someone, who was one of the first to purchase and distribute (for free here to some of our members) 'their' quality was judged to be no 'worst' than others within that price point. JMO

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm....
CSUSA's Apprentice line and PSI's Funline I would guess?

Low cost and entry level for those times you need a cheap kit to offer a low-end sales item.

I never asked for specifics, but I guarantee that out of the package you can't tell the difference between PSI funline slims and Rizheng's Fancy Slimlines. It goes well beyond just those kits though, I think you'll find "Made in China" on a lot more labels than you might expect. I don't think Rizheng is primarily a retailer.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I doubt that either Rizheng OR Dayacom manufacture.

I believe they both "job out" their production--so quality control will depend on the manufacturing company and their arrangement with the distributor.

One thing that is certain: Neither Rizheng NOR Dayacom will "take back" kits that are defective. So, deal with people like Smitty who offer customer service. This will minimize YOUR risk.

BTW, (information from a recent PM) "Eddie" is from Norway---so doing business with firms in the USA is pricey---FREIGHT!!!

GaryMGg

...One thing that is certain: Neither Rizheng NOR Dayacom will "take back" kits that are defective....

My personal experience differs somewhat:
I dealt directly with Rizheng some time back when I was doing a lot of pens (buying several hundred kits at a time).
It is correct they didn't want to take back defective kits.
And, to be factual, I didn't want to send them back due to mailing costs.

However, I kept records of the bad kits based on which parts were bad and they did make up the difference on following orders.
All in all, I'd say it was quite worthwhile and I'd do it again if I was doing volume.

I don't know if the price differential still make sense; it did back when.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gary, you must be a "Strong" negotiator!!!!

But, the cost of freight to return a dozen kits kinda negates the advantages, doesn't it??

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Rizheng Returns

Gary, you must be a "Strong" negotiator!!!!

But, the cost of freight to return a dozen kits kinda negates the advantages, doesn't it??

I have no problems getting Rizheng to provide replacements when needed which is not often...they just sent me 1000 replacement clips because of a color shade problem on one of the enamels...They don't like returns and they prefer to send replacements with orders, due to the very high cost of shipping to/from Hong Kong.

In the Fancy Slimlines I have had no more than 50/60 returned kits out of about 45,000 sold and about a dozen of those were due to shipping damage...one package of 10 looked like it got run over by a truck.

I have had only one returned order where the buyer was not satisfied with the quality of the kits.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Customer service

I doubt that either Rizheng OR Dayacom manufacture.

I believe they both "job out" their production--so quality control will depend on the manufacturing company and their arrangement with the distributor.

One thing that is certain: Neither Rizheng NOR Dayacom will "take back" kits that are defective. So, deal with people like Smitty who offer customer service. This will minimize YOUR risk.

BTW, (information from a recent PM) "Eddie" is from Norway---so doing business with firms in the USA is pricey---FREIGHT!!!

Thanks, but I can only give good customer service if I have a good product, I can't guarantee satisfaction if I'm going to get very many returns so I have to deal in decent products. And while I have not handled all of the Rizheng kits, those I do handle are good products....people tend to confuse quality and luxury...a low cost product can be high quality if it is meets the specifications it is designed to meet...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Volume

I don't know if the price differential still make sense; it did back when.
Only if you are buying a whole lot of kits. On 100 kits of the same color I beat their price by a few bucks when shipping is included...on 200 kits of the same color they beat me by a few bucks but if you mix the kits say 50 of 4 finishes, I beat them by a few pennies. Of course I accept returns for any reason or no reason at all and shipping back to me is much cheaper than shipping back to them.

Top Bottom