Jr Gent question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

I just tried out my first Jr Gent kit this evening. My main problems aside from general stupidity was I didn't have any guides for my end mills to fit the tubes. I chucked a smaller one up in the drill press to mill it in the centering chuck but I wound up eating into the tube on the bottom barrel because I couldn't see under the shavings that promptly covered it. Can the right guides be had for these sizes for the mill Rockler or the one Woodcraft sells? Is there a combo of tubes to sleeve a particular size that works?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PeetyInMich

PSI sells sleeves for 7mm pen mills that fit both tubes. They offer a set with the rhodium kit, drill bits, sleeves, and bushings for the cost of the bare pen kit

gingerwood

I've never found a sleeve for a jr. gent, I usually just chuck a sierra mill in my press and blow on the shavings a lot.

You could also just turn your own sleeves using an extra slimline tube. I'm going to get around to doing that one of these days.

aerosupra

If you're talking Jr. Gent II, you'll want 10.5mm and 12mm mill shafts...Woodcraft stocks them...Item# 153196 and Item# 153197

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I saw a youtube in the past week that brought back "not-so-fond memories". The presenter was "facing his blank". Soon, there was smoke eminating, but he continued. He showed the "hole" and concluded that he had succeeded---I guess he had.

BUT, now that I talk with a lot of turners who "run into troubles" while making pens, I find a "theme": Facing the pen is not very scientific. If everyone used nice sharp mills, and a consistent pressure, all would be well----although some "specialty blanks" may still give you serious problems.

I have "beaten" the milling problem by eliminating milling.

Instead, after turning to near finished size, I sand off the ends (much LESS material than a blank that has not been turned.)

Wanna see????

Look here: HOW TO # 6-Squaring the blank.mp4 - YouTube
Came from the IAP library----there's a lot of GOOD STUFF there--check it out (get that, its a pun---like you "check out a book" from a library, you know..........)

Lenny

"IF" you are referring to the Jr.Gent and not the Jr.Gent II,
it uses the same drills (25/64 15/32) and therefore the same trimmer sleeves as the PSI Tycoon. It is available as a starter package, 2 kits, drill bits and trimmer sleeves.

okiebugg

masking tape

If you're ever in a 'trick' to mill a blank or blanks for which you have no sleeve that fits, use masking tape and a mic. wrap masking tape around a 7 mm or larger tube insert making sure that your tape is wound the opposite direction as the drill press turns. Usually CCW. Other wise the turning of the press will make the tape wad up. Get in, get your business done and get out so you dont heat things up. Back in the day when all we could find were 7 mm end mills, it worked for me many, many times. Dont use black tape nor blue masking tape or duct tape...They all get hot quickly and ball up
FWIW

ghostrider

If it's the Jr. II your using, the sleeves for the Majestic Jr. are the ones you need. I recently made a couple pill containers, which use a 9/16" forstener bit. I just made my own sleeves for them. I glued up a barrel like I was making a Slimline, and turned the barrels down to fit inside the 9/16" tube of the pill bottle.

azamiryou

It's easy to turn your own on 7mm tubes. Drill and glue in tubes like you're making slimline barrels, then turn to size. The turning doesn't have to be perfectly precise or flat, you just need two "high points" that are the right diameter, and they'll serve as your guide. Any material from your scrap pile is fine. Softer materials may wear out faster, but that's okay, you can always make another.

Jim Burr

Banned
I saw a youtube in the past week that brought back "not-so-fond memories". The presenter was "facing his blank". Soon, there was smoke eminating, but he continued. He showed the "hole" and concluded that he had succeeded---I guess he had.

I saw the same thing and had to do a Hmmmmm:eek:

PenMan1

The next time you see a PSI catalog with the Majestic Jr. Starter set, order one. The metal barrel trimmers that come with the set fit the Jr. gent, Jr Statesman, jr Retro, jr Marshall, Venus and Triton sets very nicely.

Gary Beasley

I turned some ebony on slim tubes to size tonight, got a very good fit. Next to find time to try it out. Gotta get that downstairs bathroom put back together first.

Chris Bar

Had the same problem a while back. Sam at CSUSA (not sure same guy is there now but he was so helpful, as they all seem to be) suggested to mount a blank on a 7mm tube and turn the outside to fit the tube ID in question. Made them for each size needed and now I keep them with the trimmer. If you can turn a pen blank, you can do this easier than checking the mail to see if the store bought has arrived yet :biggrin:.

jzerger

drill bit sizes?

I've seen a couple of different drill bit sizes for the Jr Gent rollerball pen kit. Are the sizes 11.9 mm and 10 mm? I guess 15/32" is close enough to 11.9 mm and 25/64" to 10 mm.
Since there's always a roundoff error in such conversions, I wasn't sure how much leeway there is.

Last edited:

jcm71

The next time you see a PSI catalog with the Majestic Jr. Starter set, order one. The metal barrel trimmers that come with the set fit the Jr. gent, Jr Statesman, jr Retro, jr Marshall, Venus and Triton sets very nicely.

Ditto that. Majestic JR. sleeves fit the Jr. Gent II perfectly. Both real nice pens.

Top Bottom