Jr. Gent. Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

I am wanting to try this kit, and am curious if there are still problems with the threads.

Ive been reading some threads, but I think most problems were brought up around a year ago.

Have there been any changes or improvements?

I made some model that I am forgetting the name of at the moment, but it used the same bits as the El Grande but it had a curved finial and bottom, instead of flat. I bought two kits at around $20 each and I broke the cap insert which has the threads to attach it to the body on both while trying to press together. Once they were cracked, it was real easy for the whole thing to break off, ruining the pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmott

btw, i want to clarify... Im not talking about the threads to post the cap to the bottom, just the threads used to keep the cap on the pen.

I see the other thread (forum topic) about postable caps and those threads but didnt want to get anybody confused bringing up the "normal?" threads (those just used to keep the cap on).

bitshird

Your description sounds rather like a Churchill, which doesn't have threads on the finial, There have been some changes, now part of the plastic has been replaced by metal, so they don't break as they used to, same thing with the El Grande.

dmott

My problem is not with the finial, but the other end of the cap.

I drew a simple example in paint.

The blue line is the crack I got from pressing the piece in, the red line is where it broke off shortly after I noticed the crack and wiggled everything around.

Im assuming the new metal piece is somewhere around the red line that I drew?

edit: the brown is the cap

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 89
  • cap1.png
    cap1.png
    5 KB · Views: 94

zig613

Last edited:

dmott

I dont know the exact name, but maybe it is called a centerband coupler. Its the bottom of the cap, which looks like the centerband when the cap is on. I think the kit was a Churchill, which is now called something different from Rockler.

I stopped by Rockler and looked at the Junior Gents (II maybe?), now called something different since they are changing suppliers, today. The part is metal where it matters, so i picked up 2 kits. I edited my little pictures to try to show it. The yellow is metal on the Jr. Gent.

Edit: after looking at my post and instantly laughing I realized im still immature. my edited cap diagram looks interesting.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 91
  • cap1.png
    cap1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Top Bottom