Jr Gent Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

I recently sold a Jr Gent. The customer comes back a few days later with the plastic threaded center band coupler spinning around inside the cap. It's still attached to the coupler, but when the lower barrel is screwed into the cap the threaded portion inside the cap turns. Can I just remove the finial and put a drop of CA down the barrel to stop the part from turning inside the barrel -- being certain to keep the CA off the threads :eek:.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chromey

I recently sold a Jr Gent. The customer comes back a few days later with the plastic threaded center band coupler spinning around inside the cap. It's still attached to the coupler, but when the lower barrel is screwed into the cap the threaded portion inside the cap turns. Can I just remove the finial and put a drop of CA down the barrel to stop the part from turning inside the barrel -- being certain to keep the CA off the threads :eek:.

It sounds like that would be the fix....Some peeps are rough on the center bands, and "torque" them tight. If it's an issue, I might even use a small drop of epoxy.

Ed McDonnell

I would not fix it the way you are suggesting. CA glue fumes could cause problems with the metal inside the cap. Especially the nib. I also think CA is inferior to epoxy for this type of repair.

I would take the cap fully apart and confirm that the plastic threaded sleeve is fully pressed into the metal coupler. If the two parts, pressed together, can still turn (before being pressed into the cap tube) then I would replace the parts with new ones (making sure everything is secure).

If new parts that fit correctly are not an option, then I would use epoxy to secure the threaded plastic to the metal coupler when I pressed them together. I would also use a small amount of epoxy to secure the plastic to the tube when pressing the parts back into the cap. I would scribe some lines in the exterior of the plastic part to give the epoxy a better chance for a physical bond to the metal.

That's what I would do.

Ed

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The threaded insert should be glued inside the centerband, if it isn't what you are seeing could easily happen. I would remove the centerband and replace the insert or if you can remove it without breaking it take it out and put a small spot of glue on it before reinserting it.

lwalper

Oops, too late, job's done. After a couple drops of CA I sprayed it down with accelerator. Maybe if I leave it open for a few days it will offgas any caustic fumes. It's a chrome rollerball so maybe no damage will result??

I would not fix it the way you are suggesting. CA glue fumes could cause problems with the metal inside the cap. Especially the nib. I also think CA is inferior to epoxy for this type of repair.

I would take the cap fully apart and confirm that the plastic threaded sleeve is fully pressed into the metal coupler. If the two parts, pressed together, can still turn (before being pressed into the cap tube) then I would replace the parts with new ones (making sure everything is secure).

If new parts that fit correctly are not an option, then I would use epoxy to secure the threaded plastic to the metal coupler when I pressed them together. I would also use a small amount of epoxy to secure the plastic to the tube when pressing the parts back into the cap. I would scribe some lines in the exterior of the plastic part to give the epoxy a better chance for a physical bond to the metal.

That's what I would do.

Ed

SteveG

I hope your repair works. The closed space inside the cap will allow the CA off gas to do its bad deed, so leaving it open will help. So do not rush to close it back up.

Now, for the other part of the problem: your pen recipient. This person needs to hear that the pen is a "precision instrument", and to avoid being heavy handed with it. Also, if the pen is shown to someone else, they could redamage it by by unknowingly forcing it. That would happen in exactly the amount of time it takes to explain how the cap is removed/replaced. For some unknown reason, it seems that approximately half the world's population believes that one should really torque down the cap as it is replaced on the pen!:eek:

You might want to test your repair by tugging and tightening the cap a little beyond what you know to be "normal". Since the thread/cap assembly has failed once, giving it a good, convincing test before returning it to the customer might avoid having it come back again for the same complaint.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I hope your repair works. The closed space inside the cap will allow the CA off gas to do its bad deed, so leaving it open will help. So do not rush to close it back up.

Now, for the other part of the problem: your pen recipient. This person needs to hear that the pen is a "precision instrument", and to avoid being heavy handed with it. Also, if the pen is shown to someone else, they could redamage it by by unknowingly forcing it. That would happen in exactly the amount of time it takes to explain how the cap is removed/replaced. For some unknown reason, it seems that approximately half the world's population believes that one should really torque down the cap as it is replaced on the pen!:eek:

You might want to test your repair by tugging and tightening the cap a little beyond what you know to be "normal". Since the thread/cap assembly has failed once, giving it a good, convincing test before returning it to the customer might avoid having it come back again for the same complaint.
There are also the large contingent who think that any cap is pulled off rather than unscrewed...and of course those who if they remember to unscrew it or have it handed to them with the cap already off think you must push the cap to get it back on. They belong to the old school "if it don't fit, force it - if you can't force it, get a bigger hammer" crowd. I have a relatively good customer, who shall remain anonomus who breaks at least one thing from every order he buys -- once or twice it has been things that I have a hard time imagining how it could have been done.

Last edited:

lwalper

It seems that, as I was initially assembling the pen, I remember that the threaded portion seemed to move a bit. Not sure it's actually a "customer" problem -- more of a "better check all components to ensure they're 'right' before assembly" issue. A drop of some sort of stickum on every assembly might be a good rule to follow. :rolleyes: Better to have quality control on the front end rather than an active customer service department.

Janster

Too, remember IF you have to match up a pattern to check the alignment before re-adhering the parts together.

bedangerous

I do not think this is necessarily a problem the client created. I make and use my pens so I can see how kits "hold up". Recently I had the plastic threads pull completely out of the cap assembly of a "Jr Gent" despite the fact that I use and care meticulously for my pens. Fact is the kits are sometimes not the best quality.

Very disappointing
Mitch

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IMO!! Too much emphasis is placed on building them so we can take them apart for repairs.

Why not build it right in the first place, and make repairs unnecessary!!! Locktite adhesive does not stain or "offgas" to disturb the plated parts. USE IT when the situation will improve by doing so!!

FWIW,
Ed

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I do not think this is necessarily a problem the client created. I make and use my pens so I can see how kits "hold up". Recently I had the plastic threads pull completely out of the cap assembly of a "Jr Gent" despite the fact that I use and care meticulously for my pens. Fact is the kits are sometimes not the best quality.

Very disappointing
Mitch
Are you saying the centerband pulled out? Or that the plastic threads pulled out of the centerband.

Top Bottom