Jr Gent preference

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

The body of the Jr. Gent II tapers from .51 to .47 in.
The instructions say that the .51 end is the nib end.
It seems to me that the smaller part of the taper should be at the fingers when being used so that (to me logically) the .47 end should be the nib end.
In any case, that's the way I do it.
Is there a reason why the instructions say that the .51 end is the nib end?
In the long run, does it really make a difference?

Just wondering.

Lee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I like to make 'em backards!!!!! Seems to fit better!

Make them either way, but I know you do a lot of wood, SOOOOOO...once you match the grain...that's the way it is.....

I make 99% alternative materials, most of which don't need grain matching, So I fit it the way it looks best (BIG SIDE TO THE CENTERBAND, USUALLY:).

The Tritons, et. al do it the other way (big side up), and I like that look.

Respectfully submitted.

zig613

Is there a reason why the instructions say that the .51 end is the nib end? In the long run, does it really make a difference?

Just wondering.

Lee

Perhaps it is the fact that the larger end (.51) of the lower barrel will match closer to the diameter of the cap.

Wade

PenMan1

The nib is going to dictate where what goes where. Measure the parts.

Makes ABSOLUTELY no difference... nib or no nib! The "press in" screws are exactly the same on either end (or else they wouldn't press fit in a straight tube).

Personally, I think it is a matter of preference. Most people can't even distinguish .003268954 with the naked eye. I do it by feel, and in my world, the little end goes to the bottom.

Just make sure you put the ring that fits the barrel in the right place. If anybody says anything ( which has never happened to me)... Just say yeah, " That's how those KIT makers do it, personally, I wish they'd stop).

In my world, coloring OUTSIDE the lines is, acceptable, expected and DAMNED profitable!!!!

Last edited:

leestoresund

That's right. The rings are also different sized.
I think it tells you if you've finally learned to turn a pen.
Now you have to put the ring on the correct way and the correct size.
So you have to be more precise in your turning.

I did look at the cap with it on the small end and the large end. Like Andy pointed out, the threads are interchangeable. There is no real difference to the casual looker. There is, however, a big difference in the feel of the pen.

Lee

Ironwood

I made my first couple with the smaller diameter at the nib end, because I thought that was the way they were supposed to be.

After looking at them for a while, I have changed, and now assemble them with the thicker end to the nib.
To my eye it looks better this way when the cap is screwed on.

I dont think 99 out of 100 customers would notice any difference.

jskeen

I've done a couple of closed end pens where I used the smaller trim ring for the nib end, and TO ME, it looks a little odd, because there is a noticeable gap inside the centerband when you look at it with the cap on, but upside down... IE in writing position, but with the cap on. I don't write with the cap posted 99% of the time, and it just looks natural for the pen to taper up, from larger at the fingertips to smaller as well. True, it's a personal aesthetic decision, but not a very controversial one, IMHO.

Top Bottom