Jr. Gent Plan B etc...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Alright so First off this is a Jr. Gent from Timberbits, not sure on the I or II, or the differences between the two, but that is a whole new conversation. I picked these up as a low cost alt. to the Sierra, to see how turning capped pens went, and if that was a direction to move into next. Figured that much out as the first one went well, and is the new carry pen.

Getting sidetracked...The Issue: I did me research on the center band, removal, etc...although these come in pieces (?) so that is not a problem. The bottom band, which extends up the black sleeve a good 3/8", is glued over the internal threaded cap sleeve. Working on a project, I need these threads, yet no center band showing. Upon research it seemed that these simply pushed out with some effort. Again upon further inspections these are glued as there is just a hint of glue build up on the outside of the black sleeve.

The Question: How is this going to work? Do we chuck this up and turn the bottom metal ring down to match, so that the entire assembly slides inside of the cap? That is the current plan....other advice or comments? Plan to rock this out tomorrow morning, and figure it all out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

If you are wanting no centerband at all, I would not turn the bottom off and press the whole thing inside. It would push the threads to far into the cap. I would try cutting the larger portion off so you are only inserting the part that is supposed to go in the cap.

The difference in the Jr gent I and II, look at the coupler on the lower barrel. If it's painted black and called a Jr Gent, it's a 1. None of the II's have the enamel on the threaded portion.

BSea

Also, the Jr Gent 2 is larger. the tubes are different diameters, so it takes different bushings. It's also slightly longer than the Jr Gent 1.

toddlajoie

Yes, the 10K gold Jr Gent 2 has black enamel threads ( See attached images from CSUSA Web site... They are, left to right Titanium (Gold Ti), 10K Gold (w black threads), and Rhodium)

Size is the only real way to tell the Jr Gent 1/Apprentice from 2, as there are several versions of the 1's kicking around that vary things up. Jr Gent 1's use 25/64 and 15/32 drill bits and the Jr Gent 2's use 10.5mm & 12.5mm drill bits.

The Jr Gent 1/Apprentice tubes are identical size to the Baron series of pens, but the bushings are slightly different. Also the Jr Gent 1 has a round nib stem on the rollerball while the Baron series' have a faceted stem.

CSUSA now only sells the Jr Gent 1/Apprentice in standard gold and chrome, but others are offering them in Ti Gold and Rhodium (and probably others I have not seen...)

Attachments

• jr-gent-roller_l.jpg
    jr-gent-roller_l.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Jr Gent 1

Let's just say that based on the drill bit sizes called for and the general appearance the jr gents sold by Timberbits are not jr gent II. They are probably jr gent 1 but Timberbits has some kits made to their own specs and they could be a tad different from other jr gent 1 kts also. The listing lists an 11.9mm drill bit and the instructions say 15/32....

jmbaker79

Let's just say that based on the drill bit sizes called for and the general appearance the jr gents sold by Timberbits are not jr gent II. They are probably jr gent 1 but Timberbits has some kits made to their own specs and they could be a tad different from other jr gent 1 kts also. The listing lists an 11.9mm drill bit and the instructions say 15/32....

Correct...two new bits added to the collection... Yet 15/32" is basically 11.9mm yet the 15/32" barrel trimmer from wc is a super tight fit...too tight IMO. Really have to work it in there. Thanks for all the info guys...project almost complete as I ended up doing exactly what was spoke of in the original post and just turned down the center band and shortened it by the length of the bottom ring, so the whole assembly fit flushly into the cap...works like a charm!

Last edited:
Top Bottom