Jr. Gent Pencil problems??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Anyone else make this kit? I just put togather my first one as part of a pen/pencil set and the cap is very "loose & rattlely" at the centerband. The top of the pencil insert presses into the cap, but at the centerband it seems to rely on the fit of the centerband to the lower transmission insert. IMHO this pen, like this, feels cheaper than the slimline!!

Is it just my pen, or is this the way this kit feels? I am very dissapointed in the pencil because this is a set for a good frined of my Mom.. :(

I hope the Jr. Gent twist pen is built better!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

I have to disagree with you on this. I've made quite a few of these kits and for pen/pencil sets this is one of only two kits that I use, the other is the modified Sierra. My only complaint is that it is not offered in Titanium Gold plate.

Wayne

alamocdc

Lee, I've done several of these and had the same intial impression. But I also hadd the same initial impression of the Perfect Fit (uses the same twist mech). However, it has turned out to be a very good performer.

gerryr

I've made quite a few of these for a customer in CA, who admits to having over 2,000 pens. He loves them, says it is one of the best pencils he's ever used.

Firefyter-emt

But my main question is does the cap feel loose in the middle? Mine can wiggle back and forth (side to side) in the center band to lower pen body. If I hold it by thelower body and shake it, you can hear the cap rattle!

Tea Clipper

The cap dimension are the same on either end, however the nib end on the lower tube is smaller in diameter then the end that meets in the center. Did you accidentally get those ends reversed when you assembled the unit? That would explain why it is loose in the center. <s>I'm guilty</s> I know someone who made that mistake before...[:I]

Firefyter-emt

Nope, no chance there. I mark my tubes inside with a sharpe marker so I know the grain and which end went where. Even with that, the wood itself would be smaller, but the hardware should be more than enough to keep the pen tight. I would be very dissapointed if the coupler was designed is such a way that the centerband needed to rotate on the finished pen blank which is visiable when the cap is removed to access the ereaser.

Tea Clipper

Hmm, well another thing that I have to pay attention to is the fact that the lower tube for the pencil is shorter than the same tube for the ballpoint. So when I make the pen/pencil set, I need to make sure I assemble the right kit with the right tubes.

I'm just trying to help by throwing out ideas. I make these sets by request so I don't have one handy. The ones I've made fit well, although the pencil cap turns easy for the mechanism to work, I don't recall it ever being so loose as to rattle.

Firefyter-emt

No, I appreciate it... don't get me wrong. This is the first time I made either of these pens myself so they were just kept in the bag for the hardware, however... There is a HIGH chance the lower tubes were switched. It's a matching set so both blanks are the same. I also thought the pen refill seemed a bit sunken in than it should be. I have to check that now, although, the cap itself should be the same layout. A longer tube should only affect the nib, not the cap.

Tea Clipper

Right -- the cap tubes are the same length, its just the lower tube is shorter on the pencil kit. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem you are experiencing, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with it though, as I really like this set -- it is part of my high-end lineup.

Firefyter-emt

Ron, thanks for that heads up.. I just had to knock the pencil apart. I did indeed have the long tube on that kit. I am pretty sure that is not the problem, but it saved me major issues with the pen, I am sure! The long tube is just under 3mm shorter, and where the pencil looked a bit odd, the pen would of been glaring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom