Jr Gent/Jr Statesman pen mill shaft?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMostro

What do y'all use for the Jr. Gents and Jr. Statesman as a sleave to for the pen mill shaft to fit the larger tube when milling the ends? I have a 10mm shaft on the pen mill that fits the smaller tube but the larger tube needs a larger shaft...sooo what am I supposed to use?

Thanks, Eugene

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kent4Him

A tip I got from Ed Brown is to buy brass tubes at small incremental differences and basically stack one over the other until you get to the right size. Maybe he will see this thread and comment further.

I have asked CSUSA if they are planning on coming out with the adapters to fit the Jr's, but they said there were no immediate plans. This is one of the times I wish I had a metal lathe.

Chris, you don't need a metal lathe, at least for this project. Joe Collazo sells 3/4" delrin rods which can easily be turned between centers (or in a chuck, if you prefer) on your wood lathe.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />A tip I got from Ed Brown is to buy brass tubes at small incremental differences and basically stack one over the other until you get to the right size. Maybe he will see this thread and comment further.

Chris do you really think you can con Ed in to contributing something useful? Maybe you should use a cattle prod. [:0]

All joking aside the concept sounds good. Would like to see an example of the stacked tubes. Right now I am using the disc side of the belt sander with a mitre and getting pretty good results.

Mike

Rifleman1776

I must be the only one here with occasional disasters. [;)] The rest of y'all must be perfect. [:p] Why buy stuff when you have 'stuff' that would otherwise go to waste? Oh, well, keep the vendors in business. Just go out and buy more 'stuff'.

Firefyter-emt

I have one of those fishing tackle box flats I use for pen kits dedicated to pen mill sleeves. I do use diffrent woods myself so I can keep them togather better and I know at a glance which one is which. I have not had a lot of problems with swelling and pens not fitting myself.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />I must be the only one here with occasional disasters.
Nah, you're not alone, notice I said that I used "hardwood pieces"? I've got "failed experiments" and "boo boos" all over the place. I just toss 'em in a plastic tub and re-use what I can.[:)]

ElMostro

Problem solved! Thanks all for the tips. I used two of my 7mm "disasters" to make the sleaves. I sealed them with a couple of coats of CA just in case. I will be making one for cigars and Sierras also, that way I don't have to keep changing the shaft on my pen mill. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom