Jr. Gent II disasembling problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

I read all the post and I have a set of transfer punches. I can not for the life of me get the threaded end out of this pen cap. No CA was used during assembly and it went togather fairly easy. I failed (once again) to line up the grains before pressing, and the pen looks like crap. If it wasn't for the fact its a black Ti kit I would chunk it or give it to some one who doesn't care what it looks Like. Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The alternative is to take out the pen nib end. IF you do this, first figure out where the threads will actually hit (if it's off a sixteenth of an inch, you need to "spin" it just that far). Aligning in this manner is "hit and miss", but taking out your thread section is highly likely to damage it, if it is fighting back.

In short, there is no GOOD answer (as far as I know). Have you considered liquid soap on the inside of the upper tube, to lube the thread section's movement? Of course, you risk your pen's finish (to a degree - depending on HOW you put the soap INTO the tube).

Last edited:

Dario

Did you try correcting it by disassembling the body (not the cap)?

To do this, remove the nib end, transfer the cap to the other end (nib) and punch that out.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Starting with some assumptions:

Use the largest size punch which will fit into the cap without damaging the internal threads, tap out the cap and clip asssembly.

Using the largest size tap which will fit into the now-opened end of the brass tube, tap the coupler out. This will NOT be the same transfer punch.

Do not expect it to come out quickly or easily. Do not try to hasten the fix by hitting the punch harder. Lots of modest taps will be less likely to damage the couple than a few good whacks.

I would love to say that my description is purely theoretical, but I have had to disassemble a few. :eek:

marcruby

The problem is getting the black plastic thread piece out. So step one is getting the cap off. Part to is the black plastic thread part. What I did was glue an end thread from the barrel(?) onto a down, engage it with the caps threads and push this through the top of the cap. Then you can come down through the cap with a punch and out the metal end.

With the metal parts sharp raps work better than dull thuds or pushes. It's a pain. If anyone knows a better way please advise!!!

Marc

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As I read this, I realize I made the assumption that you ARE DOING what Lou describes. IF you have not taken out the "clip end" and used the largest punch - DO THAT!!! It DOES usually work, but CAN damage that black plastic piece.

So I am told by those who make errors. I, of course have had NO EXPERIENCE in such imperfections!!!

reddwil

I have removed the cap and clip. I used the biggest punch that fits in the tube. I have banged the heck out of it as much as possible trying not to damage the plastic threads. I really don't care if I lose the blank, I wasn't that happy with it in the first place. I just did'nt want to damage the parts, so I could reuse them. I'll keep trying.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you don't mind losing the blank, put in some lube to help the plastic piece slide.

Lube=Dish soap, light oil, penetrating oil, anything that may get in the space between the plastic and the brass.

jskeen

It is possible to do grain alignment by changing the placement of the nib connector in the body of the pen, albeit a little more difficult. the trick is to use a tiny drop of thin ca applied with a needle or straight pin to secure the trim ring snug against the bottom of the threads on the connector, then hand tighten it into the cap just until it stops, then align the grain, hand press the body section onto the nib connector just tight enough to unthread from the cap (without changing the alignment), then press fully in. A word of warning, both connector assemblies, and both trim rings are different, and care should be exercised to match the outer diameter of the trim ring with the correct end of the blank, and also to ensure that the connector assy with the longer threaded section is at the nib end. DAMHIKT

reddwil

Ok, I finally got it last night. It appeared that there was dry CA in the tube from glue up. I soaked it in Nail polish remover and used a bigger hammer. Only thing that happen was the center band spread apart some, loosening the plastic ring, a simple squeezing fixed that. Thanks for the help from everyone.

Top Bottom