Jr Gent II Challenges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ograywolf

Anybody else having problems with the new Jr Gent II kits? First, the drills they sell with the kit don't match the drill sizes in the instructions. They spec a 12.5 MM. The right one is 1/2" Found that out after I drilled six blanks with the 12.5mm. (I know, I know....read the directions FIRST) Anyway..check the other bit too. I don't think it's the right one either, but don't feel like going out to a cold shop to check it. So anyway, watch for that before you drill.

Then I mic'd the bushings against the pen kit parts...a long ways off on those bushings guys...use your digital calipers on this kit before you turn/sand to the bushings! Good practice anyway, but the first time I REALLY needed to after about 200 pens.

Also, first six I turned came out oval-shaped on their ends at the center of the mandrel. Had to sand them back to round to get a decent fit...ruined the bushings in the process. So I bought a new mandrel and bushings. Same problem on the first pen. Also ran into that with the Gents. These are the heaviest pens I have done so far on the 7mm mandrel. No problems with Berea large pens on the thicker mandrel, so I know it's not the lathe or me. It's either too skinny a mandrel, or poor quality control on the bushings themselves (which seems likely). (And no, I don't over-tighten the nut or the tail stock).

Also, lost sales at a craft show this weekend because the Jr. Gent II threads (still) don't work very well. Turns folks off when you have to fiddle 15 seconds to post or cap a pen. Supposedly the Gent II was going to fix that. Looks like they didn't get there. Now, I'm afraid to try the Statesman, since they look to be the same pen.

Darn shame...I love the pens. Nice style, good components, good pricing,

easy to build...

Comments? Suggestions?

121641653_Jr.%20Gent%20Rollerball%20Buckeye%20Burl.jpg

Buckeye Burl

Thanks,

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Originally posted by ograywolf
<br />.....
Also, lost sales at a craft show this weekend because the Jr. Gent II threads (still) don't work very well. Turns folks off when you have to fiddle 15 seconds to post or cap a pen. Supposedly the Gent II was going to fix that. Looks like they didn't get there. Now, I'm afraid to try the Statesman, since they look to be the same pen......

Dave: There is another thread open on this subject right now. According to CSUSA, the thread problem with the Jr Gent & the Jr Statesman II kits has been fixed; but the new hardware won't be available for another month or so. About all you can do is wait for the improved kits to come available and then return the ones you have now. Not sure what CSUSA is doing about kits that have made up already. Best thing to do would to email them and see what they will do for you.

nilsatcraft

Dave- Sorry for the troubles you encountered on the pen. The threading was discussed, but I haven't heard of problems with the bushings on these pens before. I wonder if you may have received a bad set since nobody else has mentioned it. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you out a new set. Also, we decided to make the drill bit a 12.5mm because it gives a hair more room for the tubes. 1/2" Is 12.5mm so we're talking about a .2mm difference. Either bit should work just fine. I recently made some with the 1/2" drill and they worked great. Anyway, sorry to hear about your troubles- I'd be happy to replace those bushings and we are working on the fix for the threads. [:)]

Originally posted by nilsatcraft
<br />Dave- Sorry for the troubles you encountered on the pen. The threading was discussed, but I haven't heard of problems with the bushings on these pens before. I wonder if you may have received a bad set since nobody else has mentioned it. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you out a new set. Also, we decided to make the drill bit a 12.5mm because it gives a hair more room for the tubes. 1/2" Is 12.5mm so we're talking about a .2mm difference. Either bit should work just fine. I recently made some with the 1/2" drill and they worked great. Anyway, sorry to hear about your troubles- I'd be happy to replace those bushings and we are working on the fix for the threads. [:)]

This is what I like about Nils and CSUSA. You guys are the best!

gerryr

I've also had problems with oval shaped blanks. On some thread, someone suggested rotating the blanks 90 degrees on the mandrel a couple of time while turning. I now do that on every pen and I haven't had any ovals since. It works great.

Randy_

Originally posted by nilsatcraft<br />.....we decided to make the drill bit a 12.5mm because it gives a hair more room for the tubes. <b>1/2" Is 12.5 mm </b>so we're talking about a .2mm difference. Either bit should work just fine.....

Typo by Nils, appparently?? Should actually read 1/2" is 12.7mm!! Looks like Nils must have been in a hurry?? A 12.5 mm bit will give <b>"LESS"</b> clearance than a 1/2" bit which is consistent with a response I received from CSUSA technical services on the same subject. See next:

"....Actually both the bit sizes work. In our last catalog we sold the ½†bit for those kits. We found that that was just a little oversized so in the new catalog we’ve picked up the 12.5 mm instead. It’s still slightly large, but works better than the ½†bit. We are right now in the process of redoing our instructions and they will reflect that change....."

David: All of which still leaves the puzzle of why the 12.5 mm bit didn't work for you since it does appear to be the preferred size by CSUSA[?][?][?]

I would be curious in knowing exactly what the OD of those tubes measured?? Can you post that for us, please, David??

Randy_

Originally posted by nilsatcraft<br />.....but I haven't heard of problems with the bushings on these pens before. I wonder if you may have received a bad set.....

David: Have you checked the fit of the nibs and couplers to the tubes?? Maybe there is nothing wrong with the bushings or the drill size, maybe the tubes are too big??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom