Jr. Gent I compared to a Barron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

OK I got some Jr. Gent I coming from smitty from a few weeks ago. He just got the bushings and tubes in stock and I ordered some. They came in today thanks for the fast service.

Now the question I was told by someone else the original Jr. Gent 1 was the same as a Barron. Now the tubes are the same size and length. Now when I compare bushings I get different readings. Sizes are below.

Barron cap both ends O.D. .480 long tube both ends .534
Jr. Gent I (smitty's kit) cap both ends O.D. .534 long tube .477 & .459

Real question can someone verify from an original Jr.Gent that the long tube NIB end is indeed different at booth ends. I want to start making blanks but want to be sure.

I was told told by someone else that the Jr. Gent I & Barron where the same. What I have is close but a few thousands is a lot with pens.

Well thanks for now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Disclaimer...I could be wrong :redface: but.....
Bruce from what I remember and I haven't made a JrGent I or a Baron in a long time, but if memory serves correctly the tubes are the same but the actual fitting are different. So it stand to reason the bushings are gonna be different. I've got a Jr Gent kit somewhere in the shop I'l measure everything and compare it to an old baron I have. If you don't get an answer in the meantime I'll be back on later today.

PenMan1

Bruce:
The OLD Jr. Gentleman was the same as the Navigator (Baron), or at least close enough that you couldn't really tell the difference. HOWEVER, they stopped production on the JR. GENTLEMAN some time ago.

I have used navigator bushings to make the OLD Jr. Gent and just used calipers for better precision. It worked fine.

HOWEVER, I have seen kits that are listed as Jr. Gent I. THEY WERE NOT THE SAME AS THE OLD JR. GENT.

I hope this helps!

bruce119

I was hoping to find someone who had an original Jr. Gent I bushings and could measure them. Only interested in the NIB end and O.D.

The currant Jr. Gent II NIB end is different from one end to the other. The NIB is slightly smaller. So it would stand to reason that perhaps the Jr Gent I also had a slightly smaller NIB end.

Now the Barron/Navigator has the same size NIB and post so you could flip the blank that I know.

What I don't know for sure is the Jr. Gent I what the sizes where I never had a kit.

I will sit tight someone still has an original Jr 1 out there somewhere.

thanks

juteck

I have one of the original Jr. Gents from Craft Supplies US -- had good intentions on making it but didn't. I'll mic it tonight and keep you posted.

I was hoping to find someone who had an original Jr. Gent I bushings and could measure them. Only interested in the NIB end and O.D.

The currant Jr. Gent II NIB end is different from one end to the other. The NIB is slightly smaller. So it would stand to reason that perhaps the Jr Gent I also had a slightly smaller NIB end.

Now the Barron/Navigator has the same size NIB and post so you could flip the blank that I know.

What I don't know for sure is the Jr. Gent I what the sizes where I never had a kit.

I will sit tight someone still has an original Jr 1 out there somewhere.

thanks

PenMan1

Bruce:
It might be worth a PM to JohnnyCNC. It seems to me that he used to make bushings for the Jr. Gent I. I'll almost bet he has the sizes.

bitshird

Bruce the nib coupler on a Jr Gent II is .512, while the end cap is .480, the Nib is the larger bushing on the lower tube, the Cap tube both bushings are the same .567
And the Baron lower tube is .480 on both ends.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Ken, I think he wanted dimensions for the JR Gent 1. Not Jr Gent 2. But I could be wrong

mick

Disclaimer....this was measured with a 6.95 harbor freight caliper :biggrin:

Bruce I just measured my old JG I bushings and an old kit I had,
Bushings for the body are:
Nib end .475
Finial end .454
Parts from the Kit also measured out the same
Nib trim ring .475
Finial (non postable) .454
I'm not sure if a postable version was even available way back then!
Hope this helps,
Mike

skywizzard

Bruce, I got a few of the Jr. Gent I kits from Chasper a while back with bushings. Just this AM I checked the dims. because I was going to get some Barron tubes. The bushings I got from Chasper correspond to the ones you have from Smitty and yes the tube lengths are the same. Perhaps Chasper can chime in on this.

juteck

CSU #050-4508 Platinum JR GENT RB SMOOTH CAP

Body:
Nib holder Ring: 0.480
Non-posting end cap: 0.461
Tube 1.812 L x 0.454 OD

Cap:
Cap ring: 0.536
Cap finial: 0.533
Tube: 2.093 L x 0.381 OD

Bushings:
Cap: 0.535 x 2
Body: 0.481 & 0.471

Attachments

• P7234367.jpg
    P7234367.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 95

bitshird

Hey Ken, I think he wanted dimensions for the JR Gent 1. Not Jr Gent 2. But I could be wrong

Ernie, I know, but he was thinking the II had the smaller end on the nib, and the reason I posted the Baron specs is I'm pretty sure the will work, my Baron bushings might have a bit of CA but I checked them with a Brown and Sharpe Micrometer, the bushings have done quite a few pens.

PTownSubbie

CSU #050-4508 Platinum JR GENT RB SMOOTH CAP

Body:
Nib holder Ring: 0.480
Non-posting end cap: 0.461
Tube 1.812 L x 0.454 OD

Cap:
Cap ring: 0.536
Cap finial: 0.533
Tube: 2.093 L x 0.381 OD

Bushings:
Cap: 0.535 x 2
Body: 0.481 & 0.471

These numbers are closer to what I measured my bushings at but is different than what the kit instructions read. This is what I got for readings on the bushings:
2 @ 0.536"
1 @ 0.479"
1 @ 0.460"

Bruce, I sent you an email with instructions and measurements attached.

bruce119

These numbers are closer to what I measured my bushings at but is different than what the kit instructions read. This is what I got for readings on the bushings:
2 @ 0.536"
1 @ 0.479"
1 @ 0.460"

This is real close to what I measured. So all I need to know is which end is the NIB on #1 tube.

We are talking the OLDER JR GENT I ....NOT.... the currant ver. II

I want to make some blanks while I wait on the kits.

The neat thing is that the Barron and the Jr Gent I take the same tube so I can make blanks and they will fit either kit. BUT the final size is different.

thanks for all the info.

mick

This is real close to what I measured. So all I need to know is which end is the NIB on #1 tube.

The neat thing is that the Barron and the Jr Gent I take the same tube so I can make blanks and they will fit either kit. BUT the final size is different.

thanks for all the info.

Bruce the larger diameter is the nib end and the smaller measurement the finial.

PTownSubbie

thanks for all the info.

Check your email. I sent you the instructions...

Lenny

Just for the sake of confirming what has already been stated ... From my Craft Supplies instructions copyright 2004 ...
Cap and Cent Band = .533
Nib bushing = .477
End Cap = .457
Verified from my actual bushing with a digital calliper.

juteck

2 @ 0.536"
1 @ 0.479"
1 @ 0.460"

The bushing sizes seem closer to what the fittings measure out as.....I must have bad bushings.

bruce119

OK great seems I got that nailed down. Now the next thing I need to figure out if I can get the NIB parts to turn this kit from a roller ball into a fountain pen. It is supposed to be a Jr.Gent 1 but mite be a remake. It is in chrome so where can I get the parts to turn the Jr. Gent 1 in Chrome from a roller ball into a fountain pen.

thanks

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Bushings for Gent 1

I have a current Jr Gent 1 kit, the instructions and some bushings here....the bushings do not match what is in the instructions but I checked the cap and it seemed to match the bushings....I'll check all of the measurements tomorrow and post what I get here. I have also asked the supplier about the descrepency between the actual bushings and the instructions. But they are a day and a half ahead of my Time Zone so it could already be 10 am on Sunday there and we won't get a reply until it's Monday there.
Here are the measurements that I got on the new jr gent 1 kit....
Upper barrel Center Band Coupler .533
Upper barrel End Cap .536
Upper barrel Clip .536
Larger lower barrel trim ring .480 (center end)
Smaller lower barrel trim ring .463 (nib end)
They seem pretty close to the measurements obtained on the bushings

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Correct size for bushings

OK I got some Jr. Gent I coming from smitty from a few weeks ago. He just got the bushings and tubes in stock and I ordered some. They came in today thanks for the fast service.

Now the question I was told by someone else the original Jr. Gent 1 was the same as a Barron. Now the tubes are the same size and length. Now when I compare bushings I get different readings. Sizes are below.

Barron cap both ends O.D. .480 long tube both ends .534
Jr. Gent I (smitty's kit) cap both ends O.D. .534 long tube .477 & .459

Real question can someone verify from an original Jr.Gent that the long tube NIB end is indeed different at booth ends. I want to start making blanks but want to be sure.

I was told told by someone else that the Jr. Gent I & Barron where the same. What I have is close but a few thousands is a lot with pens.

Well thanks for now.
From my Supplier the correct size for the bushings are 2 @ .536: 1 @ .479 and 1 @ .460 which I think is about the size you got when you measured.

Lenny

I have a current Jr Gent 1 kit, the instructions and some bushings here....the bushings do not match what is in the instructions but I checked the cap and it seemed to match the bushings....I'll check all of the measurements tomorrow and post what I get here. I have also asked the supplier about the descrepency between the actual bushings and the instructions. But they are a day and a half ahead of my Time Zone so it could already be 10 am on Sunday there and we won't get a reply until it's Monday there.
Here are the measurements that I got on the new jr gent 1 kit....
Upper barrel Center Band Coupler .533
Upper barrel End Cap .536
Upper barrel Clip .536
Larger lower barrel trim ring .480 (center end)
Smaller lower barrel trim ring .463 (nib end)
They seem pretty close to the measurements obtained on the bushings

In anticipation of our Jr.Gent I order I was looking this thread over again.
I believe that the measurements for the nib and cap end of the lower barrel are reversed above. It should be .480 at the nib end and .463 at the cap end (which of course is the bottom of the pen when closed).
Don't take my word for it, but double check before proceeding! :)

Top Bottom