Jr gent I assembly issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Hey guys, I have been working with these for awhile and never had too much trouble out of them but after cracking a few materials during assembly iv have a question or two... First off the issue is getting the couplers in the lower barrel requires great effort. They are so tight, haven't measured them but can't imagine it has much clearance at all. Tighter than any kit ive ever worked with. From multiple vendors as well, so that's unrelated. The caps are never a problem. I resorted to using the lathe as a assembly press a while back and it works great for depth and precision...But... Still crack one very so often, only the good ones too! So... Possible to lubricate them somehow, or any other tips or tricks to aid in a smoother assembly. I've gone as far as sanding the couplers but that doesn't seem to help, if anything it just makes it tight, AND rough. No glue in the tubes either so we an skip that...Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Usually it's an issue with glue getting inside the tube. Check and make sure the inside go the tube is clean and shiney. I use a small chainsaw file to clean out the tube and also a countersink to slightly chamfer the inside of the tube.
Of course you may just have some badly manufactured components/tubes. It does happen.

Oh... Sorry, beyond glue in the tubes I don't have a guess other than bad components!

Last edited:

jmbaker79

Always clean out the tubes and check for glue... And we are talking like everyone I've ever made,That are all the same way and from multiple vendors... I tbc so I'm wondering if perhaps I could somehow be making them tighter, would think quite the opposite but can't think of anything else.... The navigator from WC, same style, always assembles fine, almost too loose sometimes...not big on it though with its facets and pricing.. Obviously I've been dealing with it, just looking to make life easier I guess

Mason Kuettel

I've had the same issue. I just sanded the parts until they fit well. It seemed to me that the plating was just thicker than most other kits.

shull

I use the chainsaw file method. Not so much to clear any glue (which you have already checked for) but to ease the brass a little. I find it is much easier than trying to evenly sand the couplings. Sometimes the tube wall thickness seems to be a little different so while the OD may be right the ID may be off a little.

jzerger

I usually use the tapered assembly tool I received with my starter package to "spread" the ends of the tubes a smidge for the really tight fits.

Top Bottom