Jr Gent Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't know if this really belongs here but....

A couple of people asked about conversion kits to make Jr gent 1 rollerballs into fountain pens. I can get them for both Chrome and Gold TN and if I buy 1000 of each they are fairly cheap my guess would be about a $1.25/$1.50 plus shipping with the TN being about $.30 higher than the chrome.

There are only 3 parts needed the nib, nib coupler and the ink reservior so they would be pretty light and probably up to about 20 could be shipped first class mail.

If there is enough interest I will buy some chrome parts (immediately available) in my next small order and make up a few kits for some experimenters to try. If they work out I could carry them instead of the fountain pens which would be a big help to me. I'd probably still be able to meet the competitions prices. Let me know what you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bking0217

So, how would that work? If you want a fountain pen you would have to order a rollerball and fountain pen parts? Sorry, Smitty, I'm just a little confused.

jskeen

I suspect that you may very well be right that it will be easier and cheaper to stock the conversion kits to fp than to make another minimum order to stock a whole kit right next to the rollerball kits that are identical except for the 3 parts. I wish I could say that you could go ahead and buy 1000 Ti gold fp sections, and be confident you will turn the inventory, but I have my doubts. I am however, pretty sure that you can move a respectable number of chrome conversion kits. If you were planning to sell them separately, instead of swapping the parts in house and just selling a fp kit as a whole.

Just to clarify, however. The fp conversion kit would contain a different nib coupler, that would not be compatible with the rb nib in the original kit? Meaning that a finished rollerball would have to have the existing coupler removed, and the new one installed to make the fp nib fit, and vise versa? If so that's disappointing. I'll still order some,but really hoped it would be like the jr gent 2, where the rb and fp sections could be swapped with the same coupler.

James

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My Mistake

They use the term nib & nib holder and I misread it. The coupler is the same. The parts would be the Nib & nib holder replacing the rollerball nib and the ink Reservoir replacing the refill. The spring is not used in the fountain pen. So you could build a rollerball and easily convert it to a FP or visa-versa. I would probably sell the rollerball kits and have an option on the site to get conversion kits with the sale and I would probably also sell just the conversion kits. They are obviously not providing a high class nib.

The fountain pen kits, if I offer a prepay sale, will be close to the price of the rollerball offer. Maybe $.25 per kit more because the price from the source is a few cents more and shipping from the supplier to me and priority mail from me to the buyers are both up a little. Again the gold TN would be around a doller or so a kit more than the Chrome.

I suspect that you may very well be right that it will be easier and cheaper to stock the conversion kits to fp than to make another minimum order to stock a whole kit right next to the rollerball kits that are identical except for the 3 parts. I wish I could say that you could go ahead and buy 1000 Ti gold fp sections, and be confident you will turn the inventory, but I have my doubts. I am however, pretty sure that you can move a respectable number of chrome conversion kits. If you were planning to sell them separately, instead of swapping the parts in house and just selling a fp kit as a whole.

Just to clarify, however. The fp conversion kit would contain a different nib coupler, that would not be compatible with the rb nib in the original kit? Meaning that a finished rollerball would have to have the existing coupler removed, and the new one installed to make the fp nib fit, and vise versa? If so that's disappointing. I'll still order some,but really hoped it would be like the jr gent 2, where the rb and fp sections could be swapped with the same coupler.

James

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes

So, how would that work? If you want a fountain pen you would have to order a rollerball and fountain pen parts? Sorry, Smitty, I'm just a little confused.
Yes, if you wanted a Fountain pen that's what you would do. Or if you wanted 8 rollerballs and 2 fountains, you would order 10 rollerballs and two conversion kits.

tbroye

Leroy

I could do that. That way if the fountain pen don't sell, I am not out a buch of money and can sell them as Roller Balls. FP kits would be great. Would like some TnGold though.

Tom

PTownSubbie

Leroy,

I am interested in some conversion kits. As stated in another thread, I purchased enough kits to keep me happy for some time and having to order more just to make them into Fountain pens would not be worth it to me.

This solution is great for me. Both Ti Gold and Chrome for me please.:biggrin: I would like to be one of your testers if you need one....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Test Run

I'm getting 25 "Conversion Kits" for chrome jr Gents to try this out. They might get shipped before chinese New Year. When I get them I might want a few volunteers to try them out....

Old Lar

Count me in for both the conversion kits. I have a pretty good market for fp at this time. I usually load up as the market goes away. I am prepared for the next one that way.

Last edited:

Knucklefish

I would like to try a few too, however In the name of "full disclosure" I do this as a hobby so I probably would only take 5 or 6 to start with.
John

Top Bottom