jr gent blow out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
ok here is the story. I had a beautiful blank form a friend in Australia ( brown mallee burl) started a jr gent to show this piece of wood that I was so proud of. got the top done and was working the nib end and had a blow out. now my guestion. I want to save the top what would look good to put on the bottom to compliment the burl?? I tried to piece it back together but it showed the blow out to much ................. HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

You could try an oops band if you wanted to save the blank or do you need another piece of the wood. I may have some halfs or full blanks I could send you one. Depending on how bad the blowout is you could fill with sawdust or colored epoxy. Or you you could use an alternative color like a figured maple or maybe something red. Let your creativity flow but if you need another blank or half, let me know.

azamiryou

I'd go for contrast, I like Rob's suggestion of red if you can find one that's contrast-y enough. Or simple maple. For maximum contrast, I'd choose something with fairly straight and subtle grain so it enhances rather than competes with the burl. If you have enough of the burl left, you could do a band at the opposite end of the pen (so the contrast wood is bracketed by the two pieces of burl).

jskeen

I've always had good luck with antler bodies with darker wood caps. That might be a solution for you. Or you could go upscale and use ivory.

JimMc7

I like alternate ivory (Exotic Blanks) for this. Sorry, no mallee burl, but I swapped a DI cap just to show an example:

Attachments

• IMG_7966.jpg
    IMG_7966.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 128

workinforwood

I think the oops band usually looks out of place. I would fill the blow out with colored inlace. You can also go back to the other blank section with a dremel and make a couple little oops gouges into it and fill those with the same colored inlace and end up with a worthless wood sort of pen. Probably even make the pen look better, because Brown Mallee Burl is usually not all that exciting to begin with in my opinion anyhow.

Top Bottom