Jr. Gent Ballpoint (CSUSA) vs. Cigar (Berea)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Do you prefer the Jr. Gent Ballpoint (CSUSA) or Cigar (Berea)?

• Jr. Gent Ballpoint (CSUSA)

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Cigar (Berea)

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

juteck

Just looking for some feedback on the quality of the Jr. Gent ballpoint kits compared to Berea's (and Berea re-sellers) cigar pens. How do the transmissions compare - do they seem as reliable as each other? How good is the fit for the hole in the nib on the Jr. Gent -- does the refill "rattle" when you write? Is the Jr. Gent as heavy as the cigar pen, lighter, or heavier? For personal preference for those who have made both, would you choose the Jr. Gent (rhodium) or Hybrid Cigar (black ti + rhodium)?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

Only my opinion but I love the Cigar and hate the Jr Gent BP. I feel that the Cigar is smoother and better balanced.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Cigar is heavier

The cigar is 1.8 oz and the jr. Gent is 1.3 oz give or take a bit so the cigar is heavier. Personally I'm not overly fond of the cigar as a daily carry pen but lots of folks are. I'm also not quite sure "why" a ballpoint jr. gent as there are plenty of similar pens already available. Classic's and Designer would serve just as well in my opinion.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I positioned them as complimentary, not competitors.

As Smitty points out, the Cigar is 50% heavier than the Jr. Ballpoint. And fatter.

(Also the Jr Ballpoint does not come in TiGold--so I only sold the rhodium version--not a fan of 10KT)

Russianwolf

I got a Jr Gent BP in a trade and made it. Not a bad pen.

There are more options in platings and styles in the Cigar. The biggest down side for it that I've seen is the black enamel on alot of the kits can chip off too fast. but there are kits that have replaced that with durable platings.

If I were doing shows, I'd offer both. So far, I'm just offering the Cigar since I've been making them for a long time, but I haven't turned one in over a year.

Top Bottom