Jr Gent Ballpoint CB Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

Has anyone else had a problem with a Jr Gent 2 Ballpoint CB breaking when pressing together? I'm wondering of this is the nature of the kit or if I got a bad one.

This is one of the more expensiive ball point kits out there. I was expecting better.

Attachments

• DSCN1078.jpg
    DSCN1078.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I've done dozens of these, and never had that happen, nor have I seen that particular failure happen to anyone else. I've buggered up a few centerbands, usually when trying to take that top retaining ring off so I can replace the gold one with a custom band. I wonder how you are pressing these assemblies into the tube. Is the bottom of the band on a flat surface, and is the pressure straight down? You have the black threaded insert installed in the centerband?

Is the fracture happening before the band is fully seated, or is it breaking after you have it all the way in and are trying to close up that last tiny little gap with some extra pressure? If the latter, you may avoid it by just putting a little reverse bevel onto that end of the tube, so that the outside edge of the blank will touch the flat of the centerband before the inner edge of the tube does.

Of course, you may have just gotten a couple of parts from a bad run from supplier x in China. I would presume that anybody that you can get that kit from will stand behind it and replace them for you. That particular failure is almost certainly due to a manufacturing defect in the centerband, not something you did to a centerband that is up to the same specs as 99.99% of the rest of them.

zig613

Hi Dennis...

Are you referring to Craft Supply's JR Gent ballpoint pen kit? Or a JR Gent II knock-off? I have made several of the JR Gent ballpoint kits from Craft Supply over the past year and haven't had any problems with the centre. If you purchased them from Craft Supply to see if they will replace the part. They are have really good costumer service.

Wade

PenMan1

Never had that problem with the CUSA sets, and I make a whole bunch of them. There is another set that looks like the CUSA kit and IT IS junk.

If it is the CUSA set, a free replacement is a phone call away.

soligen

It is the CSUSA Jr Gent ballpoint. The rep said he had never heard of this failure before so is assuming it is an isolated bad part. They are sending me a replacement.

The part that broke is only .003 inches thick. I was not initially broken when taken off the press - I noticed the gold ring was spinning shortly after pressing, and found the outer ring was loose when I examined it closer. A little wiggling during further examination caused it to break off.

After removing the CB from the barrel I can see scratch marks where the gold and upper band moved while pressing. The tube was a tight fit - evidently too tight for the strength of the metal, so the strength of the lower band was less than the force needed on the tight tube. Maybe tolerence variation just all built up into a perfect storm - weak center band, thick CB, narrow tube. Three things on the wrong ends of individual tolerences.

In any case, from now on when pressing in a CB with the built in recess I am going to make a little press block that fits just inside the recess so the pressure from pressing goes directly to the walls that fit into the tube instead of that outer ring. It's probably just a bad part, but I think even at .003 thickness it likley would never have failed if not stressed in pressing.

soligen

A note on CSUSA. This is the first order I have placed with them, and this is the second problem with the order. I have to say this: they respond quickly and have done exactly what I wanted to make it right. Every vendor has problems from time to time. What matters most to me is what they do to make it right, and although an inconvienience to have a bad kit, CSUSA is doing what they need to do to make it right.

zig613

The service at CSUSA great... they have quickly fixed their mistakes and even my have fixed up a few of my own errors by providing replacement parts.

Wade

lazyguy

I think I'll adjust the way I press mine also. I love that kit and as I write I have an order of them sitting on my porch now. I cannot sing enough praises on CSUSA, they are a great vendor in this world of mediorce service.

Top Bottom