Jr Gent (Artisan) Fountain Pen Kit Packaging

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I just received an order from CUSA, and this is for me, the first of these kits to have the extended length on the black plastic CB coupler. (This to correct the problem of the finished pen NOT threading smoothly into the cap.) I was pleased to see this, but then my smile went away when I noticed the nib assembly was sitting in the little baggie with no protective cap over the nib! Is this what the rest of you are getting from CUSA. The nib had poked thru the baggie, and so was completely bare and unprotected. I usually upgrade the nib anyhow, but not always, thus minor impact for me. If this is the new norm, it seems lke one step forward and two steps back.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I think the Artisan brand gent kits are not the same as the other gents...but they look the same and use same everything, just not made by same manufacturer. Remember too that CSUSA does not bag the parts. You get what you pay for I guess.

chrisk

I think the Artisan brand gent kits are not the same as the other gents...but they look the same and use same everything, just not made by same manufacturer. Remember too that CSUSA does not bag the parts. You get what you pay for I guess.

From the end of last year on (invoice dated 12/30/2010), I think that all the Dayacom kits are labelled "Artisan" by CSUSA. Not only the Jr Gents but also the Statesmen, etc.

pianomanpj

From what I understand, CSUSA has two lines of kits: Artisan and Apprentice. The Apprentice line (in my best guess) may be made in mainland China with lower tolerances and fewer quality control checks. The Artisan line is made in Taiwan by Dayacom with more QC and tighter specs. One would expect that the Artisan line would be packaged appropriately (since it does cost more), while the Apprentice line would try to maintain lower costs by reducing packaging.

Again, this is purely what my little brain perceives, which may or may not have any true bearing on reality!!! :wink::rolleyes:

Sam@CSUSA

When I first read this thread, I was a little confused. In the past the fountain pen kits had come with a protective sleeve over the fountain nib. I have checked our inventory and it appears the supplier has changed the way they are packaging these kits. This was news to me.
The new packaging style aside, even if the nib does pierce through the bag it is in, I can't see this damaging any other parts. That being said, if you do have or have had any parts damaged in shipping, please let us know so we can correct the issue as soon as possible. Since this is new territory for us as well, letting us know will help inform the supplier of any changes that may need to be made. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

TomW

When I first read this thread, I was a little confused. In the past the fountain pen kits had come with a protective sleeve over the fountain nib. I have checked our inventory and it appears the supplier has changed the way they are packaging these kits. This was news to me.
The new packaging style aside, even if the nib does pierce through the bag it is in, I can't see this damaging any other parts. That being said, if you do have or have had any parts damaged in shipping, please let us know so we can correct the issue as soon as possible. Since this is new territory for us as well, letting us know will help inform the supplier of any changes that may need to be made. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sam, Personally I would expect a fountain pen nib to be protected somehow. Maybe you have not met the former bouncers that work for USPS, UPS and FedEX around here.... Boxes are always trashed in transit.

Tom

Woodlvr

Sam I do not know if this is your norm or not, perusing the site and helping with issues people have BUT I just wanted to say Thank You. This world is not perfrect and it is nice to see that CSUSA cares enough to try to follow up with issues especially from the experienced pen makers that use your products.

bitshird

Sam it seems that if there has been enough pressure to push the nib through even a 2 mil Ziploc that it could have already splayed the nib enough to cause a nasty lay line of ink, Maybe?? Just a thought.

workinforwood

Oh yeah...I was thinking artisan was the cheaper of the two, forgot about apprentice. I haven't made a kit pen or bought kits in a long time. I'm surprised Dayacom would ship out that way. Pretty cool though that Sam has come around lately and is aware of the issue.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Packaging....

I can't speak for CSUSA but in general retailers don't have a lot of control over the packaging. I have Emperor Fountain Pen Boxed kits from Dayacom and the nibs do not have a protective sleeve. I also have much much less expensive Ligero Fountain Pens from Dayacom and the nibs do not have protective sleeves. So whether they come from mainland China or from Taiwan does not seem to be a factor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom