Jr Gent 2 TN endcap problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rixstix

I just finished [?]a Jr Gent 2 TN and the endcap was 10/1000 smaller (0.4700") than the bushing (0.4800"). I measured my other Jr Gent 2, Jr Statesman 2 endcaps and they are within 2/1000 of the bushing size. I only have this single TN version so I have no way to determine if this is a problem only with this finish or this single kit.

CSU tech support indicates that 10/1000" is within spec but I find it hard to believe when all the other kits are the same size as the bushings.

The question is "How close is close enough when you call a pen finished?" I would guess that 10/1000 is not close enough for most and certainly not close enough for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Rick, just a tip. Buy yourself a good set of calipers and measure every kit you make. You will find a lot of changes here and there. I measure the hardware for a kit and seperate it for the other kits and log the sizes down on a post it note. I use this as my guide to turn the pen.

If the finish is CA, you "could" put it back on the lathe and build the finish back up.

Oddly is the fact that you have these measurements though. Do you have a set of calipers already?

redfishsc

Rick,

You did notice that the Jr Gent II long-tube end has TWO different sized bushings, right? The Berea "clone" of this pen, the somewhat smaller Baron has identically sized bushings for front and back, whereas the CSA JR Gent II has a larger bushing for the nib end than for the tail end.

The difference in the two bushings is ALMOST negligible but is enough to cause headaches if you accidentally assemble it backwards.

This one reason alone is enough to make me want to make more Barons than Jr Gent II's since the Baron is a tad smaller and less bulky in the hand anyway, with the added plus of being easier to lay out on the mandrel.

rixstix

TNX guys,

I had measured the Jr 2 kits that I had, which happened to be the rho/gold and rho/bkTi in the Jr2Gent and Jr2Statesman but no TNjr2gent. Since the ones I had were all so close to the bushings, I assumed that all kits within the line would be the same. Live and learn.

I had measured the long tube bushings and found them to match the instructions.

It just put a burr under my saddle when I got the comment which I interpreted as +/- 10/1000" is not considered a defect. My definition of slightly different is a couple thousandths, not 10/1000.

CSU tech "It is better to have the bushings slightly larger than the pen parts. On any pen turning video that you watch they will tell you to soften the corners/edge. It is better to have the wood slightly larger rather than a smaller diameter, especially with the run out do to the mandrels. A suggestion, and I am not sure if you are already using one, but a collet chuck is the way to go if you want to be right on. The bushings are made to be slightly larger than the parts so there is no defect. Let me know what you want to do and I will help you the best I can."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom